What is the mask situation in the teaching game?

Hi guys,

Just a quick question to the teachers - do you guys have to wear a mask if you teach?

If so, what is the prevalence and does it take away from being able to do your job?

I do not mind teaching with a mask - it just might take away from students being able to see how you pronounce certain words. At times I show the actions of my mouth when hoping to improve pronunciation.

Each school is probably different, but I believe masks are still mandatory to wear. I teach at a public school and I have to wear one to enter the school. They also check my temperature and spray my hands with alcohol. Once you get to the classroom/office they usually come off.

When I am teaching I almost always have it on. I do remove it if students are having a hard time pronouncing a word that way they can see my mouth, or like the past two weeks I didnā€™t wear my mask in 3 of my classes, because I was teaching about the mouth and teeth.

From what I noticed at my school wearing a mask hasnā€™t affected the students much.

Last semester was another story where masks were required and class wouldnā€™t start until everyone had one on.

1 Like

Face to face ā€œthā€ pronounciation is certainly done by now.

1 Like

I have heard conflicting anecdotes about the masks.

I wear a mask in front of the kids because not all kids wear masks.
Thereā€™s no telling of the heavy amount of germs that some of them
carry. But most of all you donā€™t want to be a risk to them either.

Kids are dirty creatures.

Iā€™d wear a mask regardless of whether COVID existed.

In my uni classes, I usually pull my mask down when lecturing at the front of the class and put it back up when I go talk to a student one-on-one or walk between the desks.

At the height of the ā€˜scary stageā€™ during Feb-April I wore it all class, but things are a bit more relaxed now.

1 Like

Yeah, exactly the same.

For a number of months now Iā€™ve been letting students make their own call on whether or not to wear a mask, although since last week Iā€™ve been one bad-news story away from getting a lot more strict about it.

1 Like