What kind of apartment can you get for 15-20K around Taipei?

I

for that price, you are looking at a fairly new one bedroom/studio in Da’an District…two bedrooms would be a little more rare…

The last time a looked for someone else, about 18 months ago, then in our area of neihu, a 3 bed apartment of approx 30 pings was about 18k. A 2 bed would be cheaper.

Word of warning, like most other places, neihu has nice areas and shitty areas, if you find something you like in a not so good area for say 15k, you can probably get the same in the nicer areas for maybe 1 or 2k more, well worth it i can assure you.

I searched heavily on this site for links and such and opinions. I was thinking about a place out of town but the traffic and commute is not worth it for me. I work in the Eastern part of Neihu and they are a lot of new buildings going up around Miramar, I would prefer a newer building and something with parking. I think I may be able to get that in Neihu with my budget but next to impossible in Taipei City. I think I would be more happy there because Neihu or at least around Miramar is an ugly concrete jungle. Space is one of my biggest concerns, at least 20 pings with a proper kitchen and bathroom with a bath tub is key. I

how about lotus hill?

how much does it costs living there?
-any website to check out?

I read the massive thread about it and it looked nice but how bad is the traffic from Taipei to Lotus Hill during peak time and what direction is it from Taipei?

There are a number of forumosans who live out there. If the MRT were handy, I’d be joining them. Costs $20,000/m, plus $2,000 mgt fee, or there abouts. Really nice. Green, quiet, well laid out; spacious apts. There’s a thread, somewhere, about mapping where you live. Check that out: it’s been marked.

[quote=“JadeEmpirePlaya”]I searched heavily on this site for links and such and opinions. I was thinking about a place out of town but the traffic and commute is not worth it for me. I work in the Eastern part of Neihu and they are a lot of new buildings going up around Miramar, I would prefer a newer building and something with parking. I think I may be able to get that in Neihu with my budget but next to impossible in Taipei City. I think I would be more happy there because Neihu or at least around Miramar is an ugly concrete jungle. Space is one of my biggest concerns, at least 20 pings with a proper kitchen and bathroom with a bath tub is key. I

Thank you for the info about the Dahu park area as it sounds nice. I

[quote=“JadeEmpirePlaya”]Thank you for the info about the Dahu park area as it sounds nice. I

[quote=“JadeEmpirePlaya”]I

One of the most enjoyable living experiences I have ever had, not only during my time in Taiwan, was the near-on two years I lived in a Studio Loft on the corner of Roosevelt Road & Keelung Rd. The building is that 10 story high-rise overlooking the elevated highway, with a movie theater on the first 3 floors.

Prior to living there, I lived either in hostels, or in a very typical 30-40 year old, 5 story, concrete block in the Ta-An district (of Taipei). Both of these were prime examples of the very worst of Taiwanese architechture and construction. Dirty, old, crumbly concrete syndrome, infested with mites, and nosiy.

The first time I saw that loft apartment, I knew that, if I could get it, I was in for an amazing experience. I had been apartment hunting and this place was so vastly superior to anything i had seen, it was almost painful waiting to see if the landlord would let me have it. In the end I prevailed.

The building was new construction (just a few years, when I moved in, in early 2000), and every apartment in the building was 1.5 stories high - all of them were lofts (lo chung lo, in chinese). The space was small, only about 13.5 pings, but with the loft - it felt big, modern, clean, quiet (I was way up on the 9th floor, with good glass). The loft part of the apartment was acessend by a set of very solidly built stairs, and the loft itself felt like a permanent feature of the apratment, rather than a flimsy wooden add on.

The building had an elevator, doorman, and grabage service - so no worries about waiting for the truck, schleping up five flighs of stairs with groceries, and it wasn’t falling apart. The building is not in the best location, it’s at the bottom of GongGwan, between GongGwan and HisnDien, so it’s a wee bit isolated, but the views are good - south facing, and totally unobstructed.

While I was there I paid 15K a month - plus service fee. I really, really miss that place, it was great. If you are looking for superlative solo digs, and you don’t have lots of stuff, or need heaps of space (although my apartment had great storage space), in my mind, it would be hard to beat this place.

Studo lofts are hard to find in Taiwan. Apparently, soon after that building was built, as a loft high-rise, city ordinances changed, and loft buildings were outlawed.

My advice would be to drop by my old building and get chummy with the doorman, check for red notices, and if there are none, ask him if he had heard of anything (it’s a very popular building).

Good luck.