What kinds of friends does your dog have?

I’ve noticed that our dog Lucky prefers some breeds over others. He’s a tang/tugou, so he is always really friendly with other tanggou. These are the kinds of pure breds he seems to like:

Huskies: I’ve heard that lots of dogs don’t like huskies because their fur is really spikey. Some dogs assume that this means the husky is challenging them. Lucky has met two huskies. He played rough but friendly with both of them as soon as they met.

Labradors: Lucky always enjoys a good romp with a lab. He’s a little more cautious with them since a full grown lab is a few kg bigger than him, but he still manages to put quite a few of them in the legs up, paw on chest position. He’s never gotten in a real fight with a lab.

Rotweilers: Pretty much the same as labs.

He doesn’t really show any interest in other pure breeds. When he meets them on a walk, he’ll give them a smell and then move on. He seems to enjoy pissing schnouzers and spitz off. They get yappy whenever they see any dog. Lucky will walk up to them, smell their asses and then deny them the chance to do the same, smiling the whole time. There is really only one kind of dog Lucky doesn’t like: the golden retriever. He doesn’t get violent with them. He just doesn’t acknowledge their existence. He never smells them, much less play with them. If they try to play with him, he’ll just sit down and look away. I have never once seen him be social with a golden retriever, and he’s probably met 50 or 60 of them. We used to pass within two meters of a fenced in golden retriever on Lucky’s daily walk. The retriever would always cry for Lucky, but Lucky never even broke stride or looked at him.

Do any of your dogs have noticeable preferences or prejudices towards certain types of dogs?

Perhaps Lucky ignores golden retrievers because they don’t register on his dog-raydar as dogs? The ones in Taiwan do seem to be soul-less and particularly dumb, through overbreeding by greedy humans.

My three mixed-breeds can’t stand the sight of them, and I have to put them on their leads if we see one coming in the distance before they go into attack mode. There used to be some sort of golden retriever club that met in the No. 4 Park in Chung Ho in the evenings which I had to avoid at all costs – the eight or nine goldens didn’t stand a chance and it was just really embarrassing!

All three like most other dogs; the two boys have a preference for female tu-gous, and the girl loves big black dogs to the point of occassionaly running off with one - despite the fact my three are all neutered!

My Tu-Gou reactions to other dogs.

-Labs and large dogs will make her hostile and sometimes nervous. The big dogs are usually too dumb to pick up on this and she ends up biting them a few times before they take the hint.

-German Shepards she especially hates. She was vicously attacked by one once…and now she avoids them and attacks if they get too close.

-Tu-Guos she likes and is very friendly to them. Especially the tiger stripped ones.

-The Labs with lots of long hair…are an exception. She likes them and usually tries to mount them. She must like long hair.

Our two (male) huskies get along with one another perfectly; almost like brothers. They get along with pretty much everyone else too. One of them doesn’t like the Samoyed (also male), the other is close to the Samoyed (the Samoyed isn’t threatened by a semi-paralyzed, ball-less dog for some reason). Our smaller female dogs (all mixed breeds) get along with one another and most of the male dogs fine enough. Our traditional Taiwanese “tiger striped” dog doesn’t like any male dogs. Our German Shepherd gets along fine with most of the dogs, but particularly likes our Samoyed. The Samoyed isn’t too fond of the German Shepherd, though, but accepts her as being there. Our rotty/giant schnauzer mix gets along with everyone, but if they bug her too much she’ll tell them to get lost. The Golden Retriever is scared of everybody, but most don’t take note of her anyway.

Back when we had an Akita, he was the most popular dog among the ladies. I miss that playa. :frowning:

Good goddess, Gaboman, is that nine or ten dogs? :astonished:

There’s a man who jogs through Shijr (along Xi Wan/Ba Lian) after midnight every night with his pack of dogs following him – is that you?

[quote=“gaboman”]Our two (male) huskies get along with one another perfectly; almost like brothers. They get along with pretty much everyone else too. One of them doesn’t like the Samoyed (also male), the other is close to the Samoyed (the Samoyed isn’t threatened by a semi-paralyzed, ball-less dog for some reason). Our smaller female dogs (all mixed breeds) get along with one another and most of the male dogs fine enough. Our traditional Taiwanese “tiger striped” dog doesn’t like any male dogs. Our German Shepherd gets along fine with most of the dogs, but particularly likes our Samoyed. The Samoyed isn’t too fond of the German Shepherd, though, but accepts her as being there. Our rotty/giant schnauzer mix gets along with everyone, but if they bug her too much she’ll tell them to get lost. The Golden Retriever is scared of everybody, but most don’t take note of her anyway.

Back when we had an Akita, he was the most popular dog among the ladies. I miss that playa. :frowning:[/quote]Good Good! I hope you have a yard at least, that’s a lot of dogs.

bobepine

11 dogs at the moment. It’s definitely not me in XiZhi, but I’d love to meet this fellow.