What makes a language "ugly"?

Lick, as in " I don’t understand a lick of Japanese". No?

I wouldn’t call German pleasant sounding, but I do like hearing it. Often, I find it quite hilarious. I don’t mean that in a bad way though. It’s entertaining.

Arabic songs, their tone and pitch is to high for my western ears.

Maybe for the same reason I hate listening to a group of young women speaking Chinese in a lift.

Just makes my ears bleed.

Duiiiii ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I personally love the sound of flatulence…as long as I don’t have to smell its attendant aroma, and I’m not in an elevator when I hear it. I find it comical in the extreme. I think the funniest damned thing in the world is hearing a feminine, stylish woman rip off a loud burst of butt music.

How exactly is a vocal sound flatulent?

Ouch. Someone just had to say it. :noway:

Its the person speaking it that makes it ugly. The country hick greaseball sounds like a frog when he speaks Taiwanese but my old lady sure doesn’t.
Likewise a Cantonese bus driver is not going to sound as nice as a 19-year-old girl murmuring to you as she wraps her hair around your John Thomas.
The Gaelic has glottals and flatulence and nasal, but I defy anyone to hear a Sorley Maclean poem and not find it beautiful-sounding.

I call that “smoker’s voice”. Kind of like Patty and Selma on The Simpsons.

What is a “John Thomas”? Besides an amalgamation of two very common given English names.

Your love length.

You’ll understand when you’re older.

I call that “smoker’s voice”. Kind of like Patty and Selma on The Simpsons.[/quote]

Do you mean specifically former DPP Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) ?

The first time I heard him speak was at a DPP rally in Yong He. The Taiwanese I was with all hung their heads and said “it’s a real pity you can’t understand just how good a speaker this man is.” After that I blamed my failure to learn the language.

HG

My Taiwanese mother-in-law thinks Vietnamese is the most god awful language in the entire world. It’s kind of embarassing though because every time she would visit us in Austin or Houston we’d go to the Asian markets, which were always filled with Vietnamese people. She’d say out loud in Mandarin, “Vietnamese is such an ugly language!” I was always afraid there might be someone who understand Mandarin.

Or, when it’s mutated into Taipei Valley Girl speech:

“Duwaaaaaahhhh!”

Quite an odd name to call it, John Thomas. That is I am assuming that the “love length” is referring to one’s penis. Even odder still to want it wrapped in hair. Even fine hairs are somewhat abrasive and I can’t imagine it would be too comfortable.

My office favourite: tai guo fen laaaaaaaa! ta hen fan! at a pitch one notch down from that normally only detectable by bats.

From ‘Lady Chatterley’s Lover’. Abrasive? No, no, no.

To quote Monty Python:

“So three cheers for your willy or John Thomas,
Hooray for your one-eyed trouser snake!”

Good chance.

Obviously in all languages there is a range of redeemable types of speech that either jars or doesn’t, no doubt too, depending on your perspective.

I love “high” relaxed Vietnamese, either south or north. I also love “high” Thai, cooing, ka-ing and lulling. Both “high” cultures are so tuned to presentation on so many fronts I can’t imagine how anyone could not like them. And then there is a cacophony of lady boys.

HG

She’s really popular with deaf guys and bats.

I really think it has a lot to do with the speaker. Somebody raised in a trailer park in the American South with nothing beyond an 8th grade education is not going to speak particularly melodious English. But educated Brits usually speak beautiful English.

Except for sandman. I hear he sounds like a git.

Taiwanese.
Especially ,when people say the rude words.