What Movies Are You Watching? (2015)

The Towering Inferno (1974) In my opinion, disaster movies are always disasters, and this one was no exception. A fire in an office block. Boring.

Boxing at the Movies (2013) A run-of-the-mill documentary about boxing movies.

The Young Girls of Rochefort (1967) A musical about two young women looking for their ideal partners and dreaming of life in Paris. Not bad, as far as musicals go, with lively choreography and a lovely use of colour.

Escape from Tomorrow (2013) I really enjoyed this creepy, disturbing low-budget movie which was largely secretly filmed at Disneyland. A married guy, takes his kids round Disneyland, while sneakily trying to follow a couple of young French girls as things start getting a bit weird.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) I avoided this ever since it came out. I mean, an animated movie about cartoons? Sounds awful. Was actually pretty good.

Pretty Baby (1979) Quite a good atmospheric film about a girl growing up in a New Orleans whorehouse just before they get outlawed. There’s some content that would be impossible to get away with today,and it was quite controversial at the time, but it’s actually a pretty good film.

Tokyo Godfathers (2003) Good Japanese animated film about a trio of bums - an alcoholic, a queen and a kid - who find an abandoned baby and try and find it’s mother. Good fun.

Story of Women (1988) Good Claude Chabrol drama about a woman who gets by, and then prospers, by performing illegal abortions, with disastrous consequences.

Mad Max: Fury Road (2014) Very solid and utterly enjoyable action film, full of exciting kinetic energy.

Week End (1967) I always find Godard a mixed bag. I really like some of his films. This, on the other hand, was one of the ones I couldn’t get into at all. Didn’t like it.

blog.sfgate.com/mlasalle/2016/01 … t-picture/

Interesting. What is your vote?

Good Morning (1959) Yasujiro Ozu returns to the theme of some of his earliest films with this lovely comedy about a group of kids and their families.

Shadows (1959) Good stylish independent film about three African American siblings in the New York jazz scene.

Closely Watched Trains (1966) Very good comedy/ coming-of-age story about a boy working at a railway station in occupied Czechoslovakia in WW2.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens(2015) As a fan of the originals, I really liked it. I thought it really captured the spirit of the first movies and introduced good new characters.

Barren Lives (1963) OK film about a family trying to survive in a poor area of Brazil in the 1930s.

Thor (2011) I decided to start working my way through these Marvel movies, and thought this one was pretty decent, mostly because of some good humour. The lead actor was decent.

Breaking Away (1979) Excellent coming-of-age story about four kids who have just left high school and are wondering what to do with their lives. Highly recommended.

Future Shock! The Story of 2000AD (2014) Good documentary about the influential comic. It could have done with a bit more on the art and stories, I think, but the interviews were good and fans will enjoy it.

Memories of Underdevelopment (1968) New Wave influenced film about a young guy from a rich family who fled Cuba, and his feelings about the country he decided to stay in. It was alright, but a bit dull.

The Stone Roses: Made of Stone (2013) Excellent British filmmaker Shane Meadows, documents the Stone Roses from their decision to reform to their first big gig. As a Stone Roses fan, I absolutely loved it.

Iron Man 2 (2010) Again, a Marvel movie that was quite entertaining due to the humour and the strengths of the lead actor.

A post was merged into an existing topic: What movies are you watching? (2021)

A post was merged into an existing topic: What movies are you watching? (2021)