What Movies Are You Watching? (2015)

Happy New Year!

Here is the compilation of half a decade of film discussions (2009-2014). Now, let’s begin this new year with a clean slate, shall we?

Some neat films to consider watching, if you’re looking for movies this weekend:

[ul]Boyhood - A truly mesmerizing life story about a boy, his family, and their transformation. Twelve years in the making.

Birdman - Michael Keaton delivers a marvel of a performance. A technical wonder, made to look like the film is shot in one, long single take.

The Imitation Game - The most remarkable story about a true WWII hero, his genius, his work to defeat the Nazi Enigma, and the great injustice he faced.

The Theory of Everything - Steven Hawking, his ex-wife, and their struggles. Eddie Redmayne’s performance is amazing.

American Sniper - Clint Eastwood’s presentation of 2014, this film is based on the autobiography of noted Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle.

Whiplash - A student aspiring to become a great jazz drummer studies under a famous, respected, brutal teacher. JK Simmons’ performance is gold.

Nightcrawler - An intense Jake Gyllenhaal sheds thirty pounds to play a Travis Barker-esque crime news cameraman/journalist.
[/ul]

What did everybody else think?

Other neat films to consider:

A Most Violent Year - The Anti-Godfather. Set during the winter of 1981 – statistically one of the most crime-ridden of New York City’s history – A MOST VIOLENT YEAR is a drama following the lives of an immigrant and his family as they attempt to capitalize on the American Dream, while the rampant violence, decay, and corruption of the day drag them in and threaten to destroy all they have built. (via Rotten Tomatoes)

Unbroken - Based on the life of Olympian Louis Zamperini. After a near-fatal plane crash in WWII, Olympian Louis Zamperini spends a harrowing 47 days in a raft with two fellow crewmen before he’s caught by the Japanese navy and sent to a prisoner-of-war camp. (via IMDb)

[quote=“Rockefeller”]Happy New Year!

The Theory of Everything - Steven Hawking, his ex-wife, and their struggles. Eddie Redmayne’s performance is amazing.
[/quote]

i really wanted to watch this one. I especially wanted to see how the film addressed Hawking and his first wife maintained their relationship, especially with Jonathan in the picture. Although I hear the film omitted Hawking’s second wife all together.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Rockefeller”]Happy New Year!

[/quote]

i really wanted to watch this one. I especially wanted to see how the film addressed Hawking and his first wife maintained their relationship, especially with Jonathan in the picture. Although I hear the film omitted Hawking’s second wife all together.[/quote]
His second wife was in there for sure. As was the moment when he told his first wife he was leaving her for the nurse.

Here’s a cool featurette I came across:

Eddie Redmayne really is just brilliant in his portrayal of Hawking…

I also found this article that compares the movie plot with what’s in the biographies, and found it very interesting

slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 … rring.html

Have you seen Foxcatcher yet? It’s based on a true story about an heir of the du Pont family and Olympic gold medalist wrestlers Mark and Dave Schultz. It really shows next level performances from Steve Carell, Mark Ruffalo and Channing Tatum.

wow, now I have to, the cast itself sounds amazing.

I was reading about Stephen Hawking’s new speech system:

wired.co.uk/magazine/archive … ng-a-voice

Bunch of screeners got leaked to the net
I think:
The Imitation game is very good
American sniper is ok/above avg
Birdman is avg but thats probably just because i can’t tolerate that kind of stuff
Big Hero 6 awesome
Won’t even bother downloading Foxcatcher or Unbroken

[quote=“triceratopses”]Bunch of screeners got leaked to the net
I think:
Birdman is avg but thats probably just because i can’t tolerate that kind of stuff
Big Hero 6 awesome
Won’t even bother downloading Foxcatcher or Unbroken[/quote]
I could never tolerate the hobbit if someone wanted me to see it on an ipad. But I’d be down to watch it in imax.

Some films are just meant to be watched in the theaters. The right experience is not just a larger screen and louder speakers, trust me.

Agreed on the imitation game - Great stuff.

Recommended Asian films of 2014. KANO among them.

[quote=“Rockefeller”][quote=“triceratopses”]Bunch of screeners got leaked to the net
I think:
Big Hero 6 awesome
I could never tolerate the hobbit if someone wanted me to see it on an ipad. But I’d be down to watch it in imax.

Some films are just meant to be watched in the theaters. The right experience is not just a larger screen and louder speakers, trust me.

Agreed on the imitation game - Great stuff.[/quote]

I bothered to download the new hobbit movie… such crap and I knew it was going to be too

New screeners for tonight: Inherent Vice which just hit cinemas today, and The Gambler… I watched the 1st 30min of The Gambler it kept my attention nicely, though it got awful scores on rottentomatoes… I hate it when that happens

[quote=“triceratopses”][quote=“Rockefeller”][quote=“triceratopses”]Bunch of screeners got leaked to the net
I think:
Big Hero 6 awesome

Agreed on the imitation game - Great stuff.[/quote]

I bothered to download the new hobbit movie… such crap and I knew it was going to be too

New screeners for tonight: Inherent Vice which just hit cinemas today, and The Gambler… I watched the 1st 30min of The Gambler it kept my attention nicely, though it got awful scores on rottentomatoes… I hate it when that happens[/quote]
Re: the hobbit - Just saw it on IMAX 3D, I wouldn’t doubt your crap comment. It’s definitely one of those films that need to be experienced in a proper theater setting to be at all entertaining. For me, the hobbit on IMAX 3D showed some merits - Epic vistas, layered score, pretty immersive experience overall.

Those who’ve seen Gravity in the theaters will know what I mean. I love and admire the movie so much, but can’t stand it for a minute on a shitty laptop.

Kill the Messenger good movie refueled my hatred for cia usa etc for the week.
They should have found a way of including the fact that the world court found the US guilt of war crimes in Nicaragua, not just that they were mass selling coke to poor US citizens

Sounds good

TAKEN 3 had some good moments.

The Grand Budapest Hotel edged out Birdman in the Golden Globes to win best film (musical or comedy). Who saw that coming! I totally thought Birdman was a sure thing.

Boyhood is getting that Oscar anyway :popcorn:.

WOW, i thought Birdman was the slowest most pretentious shit about nothing ever. I was having a physical reaction to it. Funny how things works

I just got through the first Hobbit on HBO. It was a bit of a slog. I’m starting the 2nd one. Not sure if I can keep going. You can certainly tell by the coloring that it was for 3D. I was watching these in preparation to go see the 5 armies. Not sure I want to.

WOW, i thought Birdman was the slowest most pretentious shit about nothing ever. I was having a physical reaction to it. Funny how things works[/quote]
Loved Birdman, not only from an audience standpoint, but also a technical standpoint. I so admire the amount of consideration, planning, preparation, effort, rehearsal, and work that must have gone into its creation. And I was surprised by Michael Keaton’s performance - it was thoroughly amazing.

Luckily the director also won an individual award for it.

I agree about the slow part. Without the spectacle and immersive theater experience, the hobbit films sort of lose their strongest selling point.