What Movies Are You Watching? —2017—

If you listen to the old Nerdist Podcast episode with Quentin Tarantino; he talks about what he’d do for Star Trek. It’s a few years old now but he tends to hold onto ideas for a very, very long time.

Die hard Trekkies seemed to like Star Trek Beyond so another movie with Lin would make sense. I thought it was just okay, but I’m not Star Trek’s regular fan base.

I need someone to write the proper pinyin for me for “ya kiombo” - scary horrible awful hell no!

I’ve been on a blockbuster binge, go ahead shoot me, I don’t need a movie to make me think or have a compelling story, it just has to be entertaining.

I watched Kingsman: The Golden Circle and I’m not entirely sure what to say about it. It wasn’t good and it wasn’t bad either. It was similar to the first one, but I think the first one was better, mostly because no one expected the first one to be good at all and came as a surprise.

Nonetheless, Julianne Moore played her character pretty well and was a bit of a different kind of villain than you normally see in Blockbuster movies.

I bet if @Icon saw this movie, she would feel an epic sense of false advertisement since Channing Tatum’s trailer time is like 90% of his actual screen time.

I am not into the Kingsman movies. I like Colin Flirth, and I am still waiting for Love Actually 2.

I watched Man Who Knew Infinity last night on TV.

With Jeremy Irons and the Slumdog Millionaire dude, Dev Patel. Holy hell, this movie was slow, but it caught my attention a few minutes in. The girlfriend had about 5 minutes of it and went straight to her phone.

It kind of had a Beautiful Mind vibe to it, but had much much less going on. However, apparently Dev Patel’s character played a major role in mathmatics, but was overshadowed because he wasn’t white, which is an issue the character runs into since the movie is mostly set in England during WWI.

I think it’s one of those movies you just end up watching because there’s nothing else on to watch. Which is exactly what happened to me yesterday since MOD has very limited movie channels.

This Taiwan movie out in theaters right now was interesting and amazing and unique insight into Taiwan culture. It’s not about buddah as the name seems. And it’s not like it appears to be on the poster. Just go see it.

Great Buddha 大佛普拉斯

20171219_150657

2 Likes

We don’t get Taiwan movies here. And I am sure that is a shame as there would be some that were good. Like this one above? What about the one about Taiwanese girls in England selling themselves or something?

Hurrah for movie Tuesdays around where I live. Half price. Two fer ones. Awesome. 12 bucks for two.

Honestly, 24 dollars US for two people to see a movie is pretty insane.

So its Movie Tuesday for the wee missus and myself.

Last night it was FERDINAND. Quite good. Quite good indeed. Go see it.

I think it follows the line of Black Dog is Here, which I enjoyed a lot.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them was on HBO a few days ago and I finally got around to watching it.

I flipped to the channel about 20 minutes in and it took me another 20 minutes to kind of get an idea of what was going on.

I haven’t read the book…or was it just a textbook of some sort written by Rowling? Nonetheless, I did enjoy it. It kind of lacks the magic of the HP books/movies though.

Great concept done wrong, and I mostly hated the movie.

1 Like

Saw “Newness” today which is an ok drama if you’re into Tinder-ish relationships.

There is a second part in production, I think, but won’t change much. They even kept Johnny Deep.

It was just a fake text book of sorts. Although she did write the screenplay. I don’t think I hated the movie, but I’m also not a fan. I think they did a few things right, but missed the mark by a bit. Still interested enough to carry on when the next one comes out.

I watched Passengers the other night. Visually beautiful (watched it in 4K) and the story was engaging. I don’t know if I could watch it again just because the most exciting part for me was not knowing what was going to happen. I really had no expectations of the movie, and that helped. Watching it again may be a let down.

Went back to watch Coco with another Latino friend. She liked the movie a lot, found it very moving. I had time to watch the Taiwanese audience this time, and it was mostly young adults, no kids. They laughed a lot.

OTOH, I hated the Frozen short even more. It is heavy and boring…by the second song -the one about the soup.:nauseated_face:

The Greatest Show on Earth isn’t. But now I want to read more about PT Barnam life.

I couldn’t stand Eddie Redmayne in Fantastic Beasts. He ruined the movie for me. He was so fucking phony with his tilting head and shy endearing attitude. Ew.

Coco was nice. I liked the idea and the artwork was very pretty.

I catched Jackie Brown on tv yesterday and it was good. I find Tarantino overrated to the highest heaven with his gimmicky bloodbath, so it was nice to have something subtler for a change.

1 Like

Gf dragged me to watch Coco before it was brought off screens. Mind you I hadn’t seen a single trailer and/or read anything about it except your conversations here about it, so I had no clue what I was in for.

I really enjoyed it. Once Miguel got “turned over” to the other side, it was quite spectacular. It’s also been awhile since Disney had made a good musical.

FWIW, that Frozen short was just…ghastly, I mean, it was funny at certain points and had a good message, but…just…boring.

I was afraid it would be a copy paste - something like Armaggedon and Final Impact or whatever is the name of the movie. Mind you, The Book of Life is still my favorite, but Coco is quite original in its story and visuals. Now we have two movies for Día de los Muertos and that is just fine.

The chicken was flying like a leaf on the wind!

I watched Coco… and was a sobbing mess by the end. I enjoyed it a lot, but was surprised to find out there are backlashes from the community. Though, even Moana generated some backlashes…

Korean dramas and now crying at the end of Coco? Hang in there @hansioux , 2017 is almost over. You can start a new in less than a week.

Girlfriend was also crying like a baby at the end of Coco. She said, “You didn’t cry? You’re heartless!”

1 Like