What movies are you watching? (2021)

If we go level 4, you can watch it all in one sitting. :grin:

Watched it and didn’t like it for all the same reasons stated above.

Watched it and didn’t like if for all the same reasons stated above.

I’ve tried subtitles, but even that is bad as the Japanese voice acting has even more non-verbal vocalizations than the English. And obviously, the underlying issues regarding the story are not solved.

Try Your Name. Last try.

1 Like

Lmao wtf? Fuck no. Disney isn’t fit to shine Miyazaki’s shoe.

2 Likes

For you, Icon, for you.

Your Name is a decent contender for the most overpraised film of 2010s.

1 Like

It’s an oft-repeated comparison. He’s been called the Japanese Walt Disney so many times it’s a cliche.

And Walt’s early stuff like ‘Fantasia’ was quite good, actually.

I think you should, if you don’t even like Spirited Away.

1 Like

My favorite Miyazaki film is actually Kiki’s Delivery Service. Then My Neighbor Totoro. And then Spirited Away. Liked it, but I prefer Miyazaki’s earlier work.

2 Likes

Yeah, it was terrible and my kids didn’t enjoy it either. If you enjoy horrible voice acting, unrealistic character decisions, and nonverbal vocalizations, YYMV.

1 Like

OK, I think I’ll just give up. I really wanted to like these. I’ve rarely gone in to movies wanting to like them as much as some of these.

:cry:

You’re killing me, man. Got it in Blu-Ray.

Just my opinion. I never really see what the fuss is about.

What are some of the movies you do enjoy then? This is literally the first bad review I’ve seen about Spirited Away.

I quite enjoyed this one:

Go to commonsensemedia.com to see others. As a general matter, I like almost every movie I watch, even if I distinguish between the quality of those movies. I just can’t stand horrible voice acting, ridiculous nonverbal vocalizations, and character decisions that don’t make any sense.

and nor Mononoke, then there is no hope. Then again, people who insist on dubbed American voices probably cannot expect more.

1 Like

What’s so bad about nonverbal vocalizations?

Your Name is great. Listen to @Icon not @Gain
It will make you cry for sure.

Because I’ve never heard this in real life despite living half my adult life in Asia, it seems beyond ridiculous to me. I simply can’t take a movie seriously if this happens frequently. But, as I said above, this is but one of my complaints for these movies. If you enjoy anime, more power to you.

I hear them often every day. Not to the extent used in anime, but very often.

1 Like

Synecdoche New York

Philip Seymour Hoffman, good movie, need to focus, probably great for people in the industry or into intricately woven lives and details.