What movies are you watching? (2021)

I went into it blind, but the metaphor became blatantly obvious so quickly that every scene became laughable. They should have just taken out the pseudo-supernatural crap and made it internal narrator driven from each perspective, but that would take actual writing and directorial skills.

It seems you have such a good sense of what makes a great horror movie. You should make your own one!

It’s gotta be the hardest genre to make a good film. Even the greatest seem pale in comparison the the best of other genres. When people share their top movies of all time, they almost never mention horror films.

‘The Exorcist’ is usually on a lot of lists…

Speaking of financial crisis movies, I loved Company Men, watched it a couple of times and will watch it again.

I also thought it was overrated, not a waste of time but no rewatch value. The Witch or A Dark Song were far more interesting for me, I’ve seen both of those more than once.

Just finished The Game on Netflix, starring Michael Douglas and directed by David Fincher. I’ve seen it before and remembered the ending, but still worth a second watch.

1 Like

The Innocents (1961) is the best horror movie.

Strictly post-2000, The Others is great. Best thing Nicole Kidman has done.

A Dark Song is genuinely unsettling, not many horror films manage this.

1 Like

If Christopher Waltz is in it then I’ll be watching it.

1 Like

Meh. I kinda thought it was more gross than anything else.

Cinematically, The Ring was better.

Thought you might enjoy this. he is not impressed with Lind Blair’s character. lol

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Movie from 2008, quite a few famous actors, supposed to be great romantic comedy but drags through a sad guys continuous spiral into despair. A few good shots of Hawaii.

1 Like

Georgetown

A good movie. Based on this true story which in itself is fascinating.

Charlie Wilson’s War

Tom Hanks movie but Philip Seymour Hoffman is the star of the movie and is great in every scene.

One of those movies that you don’t get bored or think to look away.

3 Likes

Spirited Away.

I think I’m going to completely give up on anime. This is another that was heralded as a classic, but the story doesn’t make sense, the characters act in absurd ways, and the voice acting is atrocious. At least this one was lighter on non-verbal vocalization than most, but still way too much for my liking.

1 Like

Miyazaki is like Disney. If you want to try some darker Anime give ‘Akira’ or ‘Ghost in the Shell’ a try.

Do they have non-verbal vocalization? (Grunts, hmmms, high pitched “aaaaahhhs” and garbage like that.) That really drives me crazy.

I don’t think so? It’s not something I really listen for and I haven’t seen either in a while.

Probably the first person I’ve heard that didn’t enjoy it. Don’t tell me you watched the English dubbed version? Subtitles all the way!

There’s deeper meaning to every Miyazaki film. If you watch it as is, it usually doesn’t make much sense.

3 Likes

Maybe try Howl’s Castle? It is more adult.

Or Your Name if you want to get hit in the feels. (Not Ghibli, I know but similar style)

My personal favorite is The Cat Returns, but it may not be your cup of tea. Many people love the complexity of Princess Mononoke. I just love a cat parade.

And yes, subtitles, or even the Chinese version. English does not cut it.