What movies are you watching? (2021)

Honestly though, has there ever been a NON-cringeworthy skit at these award shows? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a good one.

2 Likes

When Lady Gaga sang Sound of Music it was pretty good, but that’s about it. At least as far as I can remember, and probably not exactly a skit.

Just saw Tower (2016), a animated documentary made in the 50th anniversary year of University of Texas tower shooting. Simultaneously one of the greatest and one of the most horrific cinematic experiences of recent memory, as well as one of the rawest demonstrations of the bravery and frailty of human nautre. Unbelievably masterful, gutwrenching, intimate, truthful, majestic, devastating and relevant work. The phenomenal imagery interwoven with real life survivors recounting the event is too genius, I was in awe during the whole time. Talk about an emotional sledgehammer. Holy fuck.

Unfortunately a half century later terrors like this still happen on an extremely frequent basis in America.

Trigger warning: The film includes a pregnant woman being shot. Don’t watch it if you can’t handle that.

2 Likes

You forgot to add that people are tired of woke celebs lecturing the average folk. I think viewership was down 40%.

More like down 60%.

Rewatched Bodied recently, finished it knowing I’d watch it again and again. You take the scenario of 8 mile and you twist it into a (real) reflection on racism, stereotypes, what it means to be a good person and the duality of how you present yourself vs. who you actually are. There’s a severe punch sent to highbrow American college social justice culture, and I love how eventually dislikable the main character is.

I haven’t seen it, but I’ve heard it’s better/realer than 8 Mile.

What could be more real than Eminem? :thinking:

There aren’t many rappers worthy enough to even support his scrotum.

Need to check out this Bodied. Sounds good.

Edit… Just saw Eminem produced it. :grin:

Nobody

Bob Odenkirk, not great, was hoping for something more than guns, blood, car chase, Russian mob, vengence

Sink or Swim, 2018, French movie

Lots of ravingly great reviews. I found it boring, predictable, poor acting.

Middle aged men in crises, more about their personal problems than about anything else, not great acting, lots of yelling by swim coach for some reason.

50-year-old screenwriter: sigh I wish I could be John Wick.
Everybody else in the room: bahahaha get a load of that loser!
50-y-o screenwriter, in tears: fuck them I’ll show them!

…a year later:
NOBODY. Coming soon in a theater near you.

The Mauritanian

Powerful film based on the true story about a Mauritanian who was detained and imprisoned in Guantanamo because of his association with a 911 terrorist. Great to watch Jodie Foster who has come a long way since Taxi Driver and is still at the top of her game. My only complaint is Benedict Cumberbatch’s American accent. Highly recommend it.

Margin Call

Some of the best acting I’ve seen. Jeremy Irons killed it.

Looks good

Ma Raineys Black Bottom

Too much constant conflict from beginning to end, band arguing, management arguing, everyone fighting, dragging on about unrelated issues, boring, wish they would have focused on her story instead of a few angry hours of one day.

The Mitchells vs the Machines
(Netflix)
Awesome, hilarious!

2 Likes

Have it on my PC but haven’t watched it yet. Maybe later tonight.

Watched Babadook last night. It sucked. Don’t waste your time.

1 Like

It didn’t quite live up to the hype, but I still enjoyed it.

1 Like

Don’t know what your issue with it was. Maybe you hate good horror?

Yeah. That was a genuinely good and creepy movie.

I went into it blind. Thought it was great.

1 Like