What movies are you watching? (2021)

Done.

I saw this recently. While I think Hotel Mumbai is mostly competent and effective, United 93 operates on a different level. The former still felt very Hollywood.

1 Like

Idiocracy looks like a must-watch.

1 Like

have you never seen it?!
:open_mouth:
post-2016 a lot of the shock value is gone, but when you consider it was made in 2006 pretty prophetic. google “ways that idiocracy got it right” to read some of the multiple descriptions of how sadly right they were

1 Like

Star Captain and the World of Tomorrow, movie, 2004

Fantasy retro and a bit steampunk-ish, lots of action, watch in HD if possible.

https://youtu.be/5D-aYfrthJc

1 Like

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, directed by Wes Anderson.

Can tell 30 seconds in that it’s going to be a fun light hearted movie, turned out quite nice, seems like a movie that would have a cult following.

2 Likes

If you like that, you might also like these Wes Anderson movies:

1 Like

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Anyone seen this? I skimmed through it and was expecting to see a lot of like music performance but I didn’t see any.

I have seen it. Not a very successful play-to-film adaptation. It felt thoroughly like a play, and from what I’ve heard the film screenplay is almost a word-by-word copy from the theatre screenplay, which probably explains why it missed the adapted screenplay nomination. Viola Davis would make a terrible best actress winner if she wins this weekend as I thought she was distracting af (prayer circle for Carey Mulligan). Chadwick Boseman was much better though he shouldn’t be winning either when Anthony Hopkins blew his ass off to Neptune and back. The only reason why he’s the favourite to win is because he died (rest in peace). The rest of the cast were ok.

It’s not a musical. There’s a handful of musical numbers, but it’s a (melo)dramatic film.

The Royal Tenenbaums is his masterpiece. One of the greatest ensembles of all time, one of best things Gene Hackman has done, and Gwyneth Paltrow nearly stole the show. Both of them should’ve won an Oscar for this imo.

1 Like

Hard to imagine Gene Hackman in a Wes Anderson movie

Starry Eyes…on Prime

Are feminist horror movies all just a woman losing her fucking mind?

It was OK, but still…so she just lost her shit? :doh:

1 Like

It was a few days wonder. The movie had to invent “bad guy” NTSB inspectors to add “drama”- totally fictional and total Hollywood BS.

1 Like

The Maltese Falcon - Bogart really was charisma incarnate. While most aspects of this film are mighty strong (the slick cinematography, the immensely quotable script, Peter Lorre, and Sydney Greenstreet), this movie never would’ve been as good as it was if it weren’t for him. No one defines the term “larger than life” than he did.

Another Round - Really, really good. One of the most heartfelt and disturbing depictions of mid-life crisis I’ve seen on screen. Mikkelsen was spectacular as usual.

Singin’ in the Rain - There comes a point where the singin’ and the dancin’ are just too much, for me it was about halfway through this film. I get that this film was trailblazing and all that jazz, but I only enjoyed like maybe 2 or 3 of the musical numbers, the rest I really could do without. I also find Jean Hagen way too OTT for my liking. Gene Kelly really carried the film like a champ, though. He was just a bundle of charm and delight, and his dramatic scenes were really strong, too.

1 Like

I couldn’t watch it but apparently this year’s Oscars was a mess. Sad that Carey Mulligan lost but I am OVERJOYED that Anthony Hopkins won. Best win in this category since Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood.

Oh the Oscars happened? I totally zoned out that this was still a thing this year. I want to see Minari and that’s about it tbh.

1 Like

I find this year’s contenders collectively much stronger than the last several years.

Minari is decent.

1 Like

I watched MK yesterday in the theater. To my surprise, there were max 2 showings in some of the biggest of theaters in Taipei.

I caught the 4:50PM showing at Ambassador Theater and with my Cathay KoKo credit card, two tickets and a set meal came out to under 400NT. I do not know why I did not come here earlier. Highly suggest this place if you are on Cathay.

The movie followed the premise of the original 1995 movie with some twists and changes here and there. Honestly, movie kind of moved quick and I wasn’t able to find any holes. Not sure why I am always trying to find plot holes in movies, BUT my only gripe with the entire movie was when Hanzo is absent from 90% of the movie and comes in and saves the day with his signature “Get over here”, but he’s from the Japanese 1600 era and those were the only English words he speaks in the movie. I guess he had 400 years of time to learn it while in Hell?

I watched it, for about 10 minutes. No comedian/host means no viewership.

1 Like

This year’s show was a mess because:

1. The In Memoriam section was rushed like someone accidentally pressed the fast forward button, which was very disrespectful.

2. They didn’t show any clip for the acting nominees.

3. A really cringey, uncomfortable skit or something at near the end of the ceremony.

4. And finally, they shuffled the order of the awards so that best picture wasn’t the last award presented. They expected Chadwick Boseman to win and the show would end on a high note with his family’s moving speech. They obviously didn’t foresee Anthony Hopkins managing an upset. In the end the show ended abruptly after Joaquin Phoenix announced the winner and accepted the award on Hopkins’ behalf. It was so stupid lol.