What movies are you watching? (2021)

Method actors. They want the real thing.

Well, Alec studied method acting, but he usually just plays his own dickish self…

1 Like

Put that coffee down! Coffees for closers.

1 Like

Busted… :worried:

1 Like

Just watched Dune Part I, and it was absolutely amazing. This is not for the MCU crowd, so expect beautiful images, complicated world building, and a slow burn.

1 Like

My understanding is that after Brandon Lee died, you could not fire a prop or blanks directly at anyone. It’s all angles and effects now to make it look like it.

What’s weird is that neither of the people shot were actors? Why would he point and shoot a firearm at 2 people?

2 Likes

When I read it, I assumed she was operating the camera for a scene where he was supposed to fire towards the camera.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Gun politics in America with regards to Hollywood

Turns out crew had already walked off set and there were specific complaints about firearms safety. Baldwin is in a world of trouble here.

2 Likes

I watched Dune last week. I thought it was kind of confusing especially if you don’t have any background on Dune. Sure hope part 2 gets made or that would have been a huge waste.

1 Like

I doubt it. They will pay out an insurance settlement and be done with it.

Prop master could be in more trouble than Baldwin, if confirmed.

Yeah but Baldwin was already on thin ice. It was his movie, he’ll be unlikely to be handed the reins again.

1 Like

The 4K copy finally got released yesterday. Looking forward to watching it tonight. The HBO Max version is 2.39:1. Gonna miss some info on the large format shots, but I think the IMAX version is mixed aspect which plays hell with my CIH setup.

Idk. You hand me a gun, I check what it is and if it’s loaded. And if it’s loaded, I check if it’s a live round. This is basic gun safety. My understanding is that “prop” guns is just a term that the gun is used as a prop. It can be a real gun. Alec should know this by now.

I want to be respectful and not bring politics into it but Alec has spent years trying to erode gun rights while us responsible gun owners would have known how to handle a firearm safely. A responsible gun owner would have checked the gun.

It was a tragic accident that could have been avoided. I feel for Alec and I know it wasn’t malicious but that’s the truth.

Apparently reports are coming out that corners were being cut and the exact gun has misfired before with crew walking off the set due to safety concerns. Alecs lack of care for safety and safety toward using guns is alarming for a gun who constantly goes after gun violence.

you have the word gun 12 times, and firearm (which is a gun) once, and one of your guns should be guy not gun. there is no other point, just so many guns in there i had to read again and do a gun count. gun.

Doesn’t look good for Alec. The same gun went off 3 times before that accidentally. Crew complained of gun safety on set before and some walked off hours before the accident.

Dune - wonderful
The Guilty - garbage

1 Like

Just finished watching Tarkovky’s Andrei Rublev

Yes this Rust incident is a tragedy and an inexcusably, irresponsibly run set. We are all in mourning for the cinematographer, she was hugely talented and her career was really JUST about to seriously take off.

A lot can be said but I will just leave it at two points, first to answer what a lot have been asking me about: “Live rounds” is an industry term for blank shells that are stuffed with sometimes cotton, sometimes wax, various in principle “innocuous” material. Having said that, the gunpowder that produces the “flash” for on-camera effect— that is still real and in short range can obviously cause serious harm, and in this case, death.

Information is still being uncovered each day so that’s all I’ll say about that.

Second, yes Alec Baldwin is a famous person. And we as an industry DEFINITELY need to talk about and strengthen safety measures, as well as hold producers accountable to them. But more people need to remember and talk about and celebrate the incredible talent and wife and mother and daughter, whose life was cut short:

Halyna Hutchins

Leaving with Joe Manganiello’s rememberance:

" I was so lucky to have had @halynahutchins as my DP (Director of Photography) on Archenemy. She was an absolutely incredible talent and a great person. She had such an eye and a visual style, she was the kind of cinematographer that you wanted to see succeed because you wanted to see what she could pull off next. She was a fantastic person. There was no amount of pressure she couldn’t handle. She was a great collaborator and an ally to anyone in front of her camera. Everyone who knew her was rooting for her. "

Rest in Power.

3 Likes