What movies are you watching? (2021)

HBO max, not sure about go

Paterson with Adam Driver and Golshifteh Farahani

Good, artistic, deep external and internal dialogue of a repetitive mediocre life and no guns, no car chases, no explosions, no marvel superheroes, no death star…

1 Like

Just tension. It was wonderful. And I felt exactly the same about it. But that bus could have exploded in a fireball!

I stumbled upon this and had no idea what I was watching as I was focused on making soup, but when I looked up, wow, what a show. Incredible.

1 Like

Just came back from the cinema and I must say it’s quite a mixed bag.
It has a lot of Godzilla and Kong slapping the shit out of each other and other miscellaneous monsters. It has even a “slapping a mf with another mf” scene, a He-Man reminiscence, Kong swandiving and the Hyoerloop, but working in it, which I enjoyed.
BUT: The fighting parts are connected by ridiculously forced and abridged plot scenes, it’s cuts looks like there was a lot of “I’m gonna finish cutting the rest of this scene tomorrow” (and then forgetting to finish cutting it) involved which makes it look like an summary of three movies.
The wife’s commentary was: “It felt like they accidentally cut the whole movie into 20 trailers and then put them back together. But not necessarily in the correct order.”

2 Likes

Thanks for the mini review. Hopefully MK will be better.

Saw GvK last night at the new Vieshow A13 in the brand spankin new TITAN theatre. Totally worth it, especially for this popcorn movie.

I will agree with what most people are saying about the movie, the clashes are good, but directors alike are having issues tying in the human aspect of the story. This time, with new characters taking the helm and characters from King of the Monsters taking a back seat, the movie lacked some major character development.

Overall, I still kind of liked King of the Monsters a bit better as I feel that human plot played an important role and the monster/human aspect was well intertwined.

However, all that was not even important with the reveal of Mecha Godzilla. All in all, I enjoyed the film. Definitely worth a visit to the theater if you used to frequent it.

Nonetheless here are my gripes:

1. Who and what the f is Apex? Wasn’t the on-going multinational-corp-want-to-control-everything-almost-bad-buy-but-not-really in the previous three movies Monarch? How did Monarch just take a back seat in this movie?

2. Asian dude piloting Mecha Godzilla, also son of Dr. Serizawa’s son. Absolutely no introduction for him being his late father’s son, just a mention of his last name. What duh fuq.

3. Alexander Skarsgard’s character was a scientist, but suddenly could pilot a multi-billion dollar sub-terrain “air” craft that he had only heard about 3-4 days prior to actually piloting it??? Easily fixed by just having the pilot be unharmed and fly them back through the wormhole. He can die later.

I went home to watch some Youtube videos about "things I missed from the movie and only found out that Taiwan release was almost a full week ahead of global release? Cool, but still do not understand this.

1 Like

I have no interest. I learned my lesson after the last gimmick crossover film I saw; Aliens vs Predator.

1 Like

Hotel Mumbai was a good movie. Very entertaining.

1 Like

Yeah, it was good. Some of it was very jarring though. I felt tense the entire time watching it, which I guess was the point. Like ‘United 93’ and other films about real terrorist attacks, I can say it was good, but also say I don’t think I’ll ever watch it again due to just how uncomfortable (and at times angry) it made me.

‘Beverly Hills Cop’ (1984), 8.5/10
Haven’t seen this in decades, but it holds up (mostly… a couple brief scenes could be interpreted as homophobic now). Buddy cop film meets fish-out-of-water film… sprinkled with 1980s shoot-em-up action. Murphy is still raw and hilarious. What’s not to like? To me, this is the only one that counts as the sequels are cheap cash grabs (honestly, there’s no reason for the premise of a Detroit cop solving a crime in Beverly Hills to be repeated a second and third time).

It’s a shame so many funny tropes will be lost to PC.

1 Like

Watched The Santa Clause 2 recently. Don’t ask me why. I did kind of enjoy “fascist Santa” though.

Swiss Army Man

Daniel Radcliffe, an odd philosophical look through the eyes of a dead man who is a Swiss Army Knife to a man stuck on a deserted island.

Good, interesting, different.

2 Likes

Such a good movie. It really does hold up. They don’t make them like that anymore.

1 Like

Wonder Woman 1984 was finally available on MyVideo streaming services so I finally got the chance to catch up.

I’m not sure if the first movie was too good or WW84 was just not up to par. I feel like it had so much potential, but just did not live up to the hype in so many different ways.

My faith in DC will be restored when I get around to subscribing to HBO Go and watching Snyder Cut.

1 Like

You can watch it on Catchplay+

3 Likes

Kill Your Darlings

Danial Radcliffe, about Allen Ginsberg and the Beat Generation, kind of a pseudo documentary of the relationships, not inspiring as might expect especially after recently watching movie “Howl” with James Franco that was a good reflection of the movement.

1337x.to is the best place :heart:

1 Like

Just watched Kong VS Godzilla.

Really entertaining, but, like others said, it really needed another hour to flesh out the parts between the fights because there were some good ideas there. It’s a shame so few 3~4 hour movies get made now.

MK soon