What movies are you watching (2022)

I believe I read that in high school.

Downton Abbey: A New Era. An unabashed, feel-good celebration of white privilege . . .

It’s good. The character actually reminded me of a nicer, less morally damaged version of his character from ‘Uncut Gems’ (they’re both into basketball, at least). I wouldn’t say it was as good as UG, but I thought it was a solid 8 out of 10. Perfect for a quiet Netflix and pizza night on the weekend. Not for nothing, I’m also glad Sandler is finally doing worthwhile films equal to his talent.

1 Like

The Lion in Winter has some of the greatest performances on film with Peter O’Toole as Henry II and Katherine Hepburn as Eleanor of Acquitaine.

2 Likes

I dunno, I thought Punch Drunk Love was great, too.

…and yet it made me sleepy. I can’t stand movies that feel like plays.

Yes, I did too. But that came out 20 years ago. I meant overall up until 2 or 3 years ago he was mostly doing dreck like Jack & Jill, and the Grown Ups series. His performance in Punch Drunk Love is part of why I thought he was selling himself short (or maybe just having a lark with his friends instead of taking it seriously).

1 Like

Just watched this Russian film on Youtube. Pretty recent, they even mention Covid a few times. I guess watching it free on YT is not supporting the Russian economy, right? I love foreign movies. Visited Vladivostok once, watching this brought back some memories. The film itself is not bad, but not a masterpiece either.

2 Likes

Just saw the new Jurassic Park movie. Far fetched stupidity. LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT.

Jeff Goldblum, what a treat. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I like learning about the privileged servants.

I love road movies. Mixed feelings about this one, though. It’s a nice story, but a little bit too many psychedelic moments in this one.

The two scenes were she sings are very touching.

I know it’s not the time to promote Russia, but I just watched this one and found it quite funny.

Let’s pretend that all these actors are against the war in Ukraine.

I am looking for free Ukrainian movies on YT now…

I will start watching this now:

Turned out to be a very lovely film. Beautiful ordinary people, living a peaceful life in 2021.

Finished all 4 episodes of Essential Meetings. Loved it, went down like butter.
All the characters were very likeable, and while the script was a bit cheesy and predictable at times, I really enjoyed it.

Now, I am ready for more Ukrainian stuff. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I plan to watch The Sand Pebbles
The Sand Pebbles (1966) - IMDb

This old Keelung building was used in the movie.

1 Like

Saw it at the theatre in 1967- thought it was great, though didn’t know much about Chinese history or politics at the age of 12 (some would say I still don’t).

It’s a brilliant film. You are in for a treat.

just saw the movie about Elvis. Pretty good !!

Last weekend I watched Hustle and Maverick

I enjoyed both way more than expected, definitely agree with the positive reviews upthread

1 Like

‘Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness’ is on Disney+. It was alright. Definitely the most ‘horror’ twist on a superhero film I remember seeing. The most interesting scenes were with the Illuminati. I was disappointed in how they turned Wanda into a full-on mass murderer, and I found the kid (with the dumbest name I’ve ever heard, America Chavez) really annoying. I maintain the TV shows are better than the movies these days. 7.5/10

1 Like

Just a heads up: new Hunger Games movie in the works.

And on the remake side: The Munsters. :noway: