What movies are you watching (2023)

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny. Well, I loved it. It’s a mix tape of all the best bits you love from the other films, plus some new delightful nonsense thrown in to the bargain. Nazi’s. Snakes. Hidden treasure. Leaping from one mode of transport to another. Character driven comedy. They also managed to film Sicily and not show one single scrap of dog shit. Bravo there.

£3.99 for almost three hours of pure nostalgia. The dial works, well at least for this guy it did. For a while I was transported back to memories of 1989 and going to watch The Last Crusade in Richmond cinema.

3 Likes

So Fleabag isn’t too much of an obnoxious Mary Sue?

Definitely not a Mary Sue character. She’s much more of a rascal.
It does fail the Bechdel test. Chekov’s gun principal is followed though. Mostly.

Watched 2 horror movies in the past two days

Evil Dead Rise: Started off with textbook Raimi shots, but then the whole thing was just derivative. Nothing wrong homage, but lacking the fun of Raimi’s work. Very dull

Nope: This was a nice surprise. I thought Get Out and Us were overrated. This one takes itself less seriously and Peele is proving himself a very talented writer and director

1 Like

:astonished:

probably better than Emma Stone as half Chinese/Hawaiian and half Swedish.

Not really sure who that is. I think it’s the girl who looks like the girl who played the first Mary Jane in the toby maquire Spider-Man movie. She’s pale like a horse.

Ha, yeah, that would be Kirsten Dunst. Stone was also Gwen Stacy in the two Amazing Spiderman movies (she was the chick in Crazy, Stupid Love, Easy A, Zombieland, etc). She’s a good actress, but probably shouldn’t be cast as an Asian American (edit: or Hawaiian) . :wink:

1 Like

I would agree.

I really liked The VVitch, have watched several times. The Lighthouse was a bit too avant-garde for me

This third feature from Ebbers is something in between. Great cast. Shades of Conan and Mandy

1 Like

Acting is acting. Pretending to be someone you are not. Dunno why you can’t have people playing roles from other cultures. Tom Holland isn’t a radioactive Spider-Man but we are fine with that.

In other news, a squirrel just took a yoghurt pot out of my recycling and made off with it up a tree. Later on it will rain (1) yoghurt pots.

1 Like

She dos have kinda tight eyes.

Continuing from the 2022 film thread:

Gaga also recently won the Best Narrative Feature award at this year’s Taipei Film Festival. Excellent news for those of us who are fans of the growing field of Indigenous cinema!

More details here: https://focustaiwan.tw/culture/202307090006

Guy

Nighy has come a long way since Love Actually. He sings in this film too, but what a huge difference between the two! He was perfect as a quintessential English gentleman here. I loved how the film looked and sounded like a movie made in the '50s. And I didn’t realize until the end credits that the screenplay was by Kazuo Ishiguro! Highly recommend it if you’re into movies from that era.

1 Like

Lately I’ve seen Extraction 1, Extraction 2, and This Is The End.

I’m too lazy to review them in detail, but Extraction 1 was like a 7.5, Extraction 2 was like a 7, and This Is The End was better than I expected, like an 8. Extraction series is great if you’re into action set pieces and stuff that goes boom, but the plots and characters are thinly sketched at best. I used to love action films, but as I get older they do less and less for me. Still, these are superb examples of their genre if you’re just judging it on that.

Elemental the latest claptrap from Disney and Pixar. It’s The Little Mermaid, but this time it’s a thinly veiled East meets West story. The female fire character is obviously Chinese and the male water character is an American. Guess what, the Chinese father isn’t too happy about his daughter marrying a Westerner.

An absolute fucking mess of a film.

1 Like

How many times have you watched it?

Once.

1 Like

I don’t get it why would you watch a movie you didn’t like more than once?

You got kids?

2 Likes