What movies are you watching (2024)

I’m still just digging around YouTube, surprised at how much is up here. Mostly haven’t seen much of interest, but today I’ve stumbled into a Cronenberg double feature. Finished The Brood and put on Scanners

Haven’t seen either for years, so far they both hold up alright

3 Likes

Sisu
I’m a sucker for movies with Nazis in them, and this one has a whole platoon of them. It’s like Rambo set in WWII instead of Vietnam. If you want 90 minutes of mindless, macho fun, give Sisu a whirl.

Did I miss Godzilla Minus Cero or it has not arrived in Taiwan yet?

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering the same. I’ve heard very good things about it from North America; I mentioned it to my students here and they’d never heard of it.

I was so impressed by Shin Godzilla. All I’ve heard is praise for Minus One.

I love superhero movies, I’m bored with MCU/DCU. Monster movies? Give me The Host. The Korean one.

2 Likes

Just watched this. Lovely! :face_holding_back_tears:

Watching Rustin (film) - Wikipedia on netflix.

Produced by Barack and Michelle Obama’s production company Higher Ground.

What a load of horseshit. Ok, the dude was for civil rights and was gay. But why does the movie concentrate only on the March on Washington in the 1960s?

The liberals producing this are forgetting his real diversity. :clown_face: :clown_face: :laughing: :wink:

He was committed to the welfare of blacks while doing too little to thwart Russian and Cuban expansion throughout Africa.[57]

In 1976, Rustin was a member of the anti-communist Committee on the Present Danger (CPD), founded by politician Paul Nitze. Nitze was a member of Team B, the independent analysts commissioned by George Bush to scrutinize the CIA’s assessments of the Soviet nuclear threat. CPD promoted Team B’s controversial intelligence claims about Soviet foreign policy, using them as an argument against arms control agreements such as SALT II.[58]

Soviet Jewry movement[edit]

Main article: Soviet Jewry Movement

The plight of Jews in the Soviet Union reminded Rustin of the struggles that blacks faced in the United States. Soviet Jews faced many of the same forms of discrimination in employment, education, and housing, while also being prisoners within their own country by being denied the chance to emigrate by Soviet authorities.[59][page needed] After seeing the injustice that Soviet Jews faced, Rustin became a leading voice in advocating for the movement of Jews from the Soviet Union to Israel. He worked closely with Senator Henry Jackson of Washington, who introduced legislation that tied trade relations with the Soviet Union to their treatment of Jews

President Ronald Reagan issued a statement on Rustin’s death, praising his work for civil rights and “for human rights throughout the world”. He added that Rustin “was denounced by former friends, because he never gave up his conviction that minorities in America could and would succeed based on their individual merit”.[6]

Just caught this one on Netflix. Not great bot at 80 mins its a decent enough snack if you like time travel done on a budget but with some nice twists.

3 Likes

Who would have thought college movies could be that nice. :+1:

I’m too lazy to do mini reviews anymore, so just going to give a rundown and scores of films I’ve watched (or rewatched) so far this year.

Top Gun (7.5/10)
Top Gun: Maverick (9/10)
The King of New York (7/10)
Blue Beetle (7.5/10)
May December (8/10 -finally buckled and got a VPN to watch it)
The Crazies (2010 version) (7/10)
Society of the Snow (9/10)
Good Time (8/10)
The Shining (9/10 - rewatched it after reading the book for the first time… now I can kinda understand why King didn’t like it, but I still think they’re both great in their own way)

I think that’s it but it’s possible I forgot one. Lately I’ve given up trying to binge shows as it’s too time consuming and just watch a movie every 3 or 4 days. No bad movies so far, and a couple pleasant surprises (Blue Beetle was solid despite middling reviews, and Society of the Snow was great if haunting and hard to watch at times… much better than Alive (1993)).

6 Likes

Beautiful movie.

I saw a bunch of stuff recently. The best are McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971), Society of the Snow (2023), The Eight Mountains (2022), Seconds (1966), The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover (1989), How to Have Sex (2023), Rye Lane (2023), and All the President’s Men (1976).

1 Like

Guess I’m going to have to watch this soon, that’s two mentions of a movie I’ve never heard of.

I liked Alive, although I wonder if Frank Marshall killed Josh Hamilton’s acting career in surface-Left Hollywood by editing Hamilton’s lead to come off as a Christian athlete whose moon eyes only grew wider as the group grew more desparate (or signing onto that edit anyway).

2 Likes

It’s on Netflix.

Morbius

Yikes. Really terrible movie!

3 Likes

Watched ‘High and Low’ (1963)

What can I say? Kurosawa was a master of the craft. I loved Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Ran, so even though this takes place in the present I knew it’d be great. It was. His films are just timeless in a way Hollywood productions of the time aren’t. (9.5/10)

Not bad for a Cage movie. But I was attracted to renting it because I like mushroom hunting. It sadly, was almost nothing about that and more about drama.

1 Like

That’s an… interesting theory.

McCabe and Mrs Miller was great, in the brief American Renaissance of the early 70s, along with (of course) The Godfather, Dog Day Afternoon. Five Easy Pieces, Taxi Driver… all squished by Star Wars.

Lovely, beautiful, funny movie. Love Julia Ormond in this one.