I just saw it yesterday, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to recall the name. Luckily it was a double feature with One Battle After Another.
Yeah she ain’t Kate.
Kate’s well-respected, has helped build the reputation of the British Film industry and its ancillaries.
Done more than our fucking King, but that’s another topic
Kate is basically to the UK what Meryl Streep is to the US.
I haven’t had the chance to rewatch that. I like Pynchon, so I should just go in thinking it’s dark absurdist comedy. I took it a bit too literally the first time, so SP’s character seemed regarded and deliberately portrayed as a projection of woke stoopid .
An actor?
MS can be insufferable at times. Wasn’t she the grandma in JD Vance’s biopic?
I saw it as a meditation on how people get caught up in ideologies to the detriment of human relationships. Like any good work of art, it’s open to multiple interpretations.
I found it like reading The Alchemist, overrated pseudo philosophy
I haven’t read it. What I heard about it made it sound to me like the book equivalent of a warm hug – a genre I prefer to avoid in both written and screen forms.

You think the Alchemist didn’t deserve it?
Starcrash
Maybe the best worst movie I"ve ever seen. It’s so bad that it’s good. The terrible special effects are a riot.
Cult following.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079946/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Haven’t seen Sunshine in, um, decades I guess, but I’d say your comparison is like comparing literally any sandwich that’s not a shit sandwich to a shit sandwich. ![]()
Also haven’t read that book in decades, but that’s probably for the best.
![]()
(Sorry to anyone who’s a fan.
)
lol, my first thought was “I didn’t know you lived in Taipei”. But you meant the movie ![]()
Bit of a reboot marathon lately
The Running Man: closer to the source material than the Arnie version, but overall I expected more from Edgar Wright. 3/5
Naked Gun: much better than expected, especially the writing in the first act. Last act was a bore. Pamela Anderson did very well.
Toxic Avenger: I seem to like pretty much anything with Peter Dinklage in it. This was way more fun than expected
Pollution in Taipei isn’t that bad. Just sayin’.
Now excuse me while I exit the thread before an argument breaks out. ![]()
They also get natural clouds. The statistics are, what, 9 days of sunshine per year?
Watched ‘Copycat’ (1995). It’s one of those fun mid-budget thrillers from the 90s. It’s not as good as ‘Seven’ or even ‘Basic Instinct’, but I had fun with it. Story is predictable and drags a bit in the middle, but the acting and directing is actually pretty good. It kinda carries the film as you get invested in the characters. Sigourney Weaver clearly had fun playing a nutty agoraphobic professor traumatized by a recent assault. Harry Connick Jr of all people gives a great performance as a twisted killer… surprised he was never really in anything again. And I forgot how hot Holly Hunter used to be. She’s great as a bad ass cop. Would give the film like a 7/10.
One of first movies rented on VHS player after parents bought one in the 80s.
Great storyline and lots of well-known actors.
Me, too. Seems a shame to start them and not get to the end
![]()
I happened to catch Into the Wild (2007) last night on one of the HBO channels (Signature).
Good cast all around. Direction by Sean Penn.
It’s better and more complex than the trailer makes it look. Is the main character some sort of saint or a complete nut-job? The movie offers room for more than one interpretation of where he falls between those points, though it clearly sides with McCandless overall.
The next time it’s showing that’s not at some ungodly hour is 1 p.m. on Sunday.
