Haha that’s funny, we watched it on the same channel a couple nights ago. They must be showing it a lot.
MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE Official Trailer (NEW 2026) HE MAN https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mokUCfVsgc
Sinners earns 16 Oscar nominations. A record 16! ![]()
I think Hollywood is trying to tell us where they stand on the state of woke. ![]()
I predict a grim awards show and absolutely no sign of Ricky Gervais.
I wanna push back against this .a few years ago black horror started a revival. It’s easy to notice that there are some things that work better for a black audience. I find Sinners to be a continuation of that, and although a bit watered down from US or the masterful series Them.
Woke? No. Targeted to creep out black people? Yup.
Sure. I haven’t seen it.
Here’s the deal, is it so good that it’s worthy of 16 Oscar nominations, or are those nominations related to something else?
If I’m calling like I’m seeing it, it’s more about DEI than about a movie so good that it’s a record-setter. SIXTEEN!!
![]()
It may not have been better than THEM, but it was a damn good genre bending film. ![]()
And listen. You should watch just for crazy cameo at the end.
It may not have been better than THEM, but it was a damn good genre bending film.
And listen. You should watch just for crazy cameo at the end.
I will definitely watch it now, although I probably would have skipped it until this.
Where its worthiness as an award-deserving movie is stretched into incredulity for me is 16 nominations. That number beats a whole heckuva lot of movies over the past 100 years or so.
Where its worthiness as an award-deserving movie is stretched into incredulity for me is 16 nominations. That number beats a whole heckuva lot of movies over the past 100 years or so.
I choose to not follow awards shows. Didn’t Seth Rogan just win something for being funny? He’s so not. ![]()
That said, here’s the list:
My top three:
Bogonia
Train Dreams
Marty Supreme
Here’s the deal, is it so good that it’s worthy of 16 Oscar nominations, or are those nominations related to something else?
I think your instincts are correct. I watched it and didn’t find it woke, but it just wasn’t very good, kind of silly even, and certainly not worthy of so many Oscar nominations. Weapons was the superior horror film in every way.
Other awards seem generally more honest and accurate than the Oscars.
Weapons was the superior horror film in every way.
Ugh, maybe. The witch was great, but better maybe instead of superior? ![]()
The witch was great
Now she deserves an Oscar.
I’ll be iced in, then snowed in all weekend long. Perfect time to throw a rack of ribs in the oven and catch up.
Tonight:
One of Peele’s horror movies.
On the docket tomorrow:
Begonia
Train Dreams
Sinners
Sunday morning:
The other of Peele’s horror movies.
Add in gym time (if possible), shoveling (priority), NFL and breaks for sumo and I’ll probably accomplish watching half of one movie. ![]()
The other of Peele’s horror movies
I think there are 3, and the third is the best
On the docket tomorrow:
Begonia
Train Dreams
Sinners
That’s the right order!
Then do Begonia again!
Ok, I’m rewatching Weapons.
I’m going to reassess it as not just creepy as hell but genuinely terrifying. ![]()
Turn The Page Documentary
Follows the iconic Pulitzer Prize-winning author Robert Caro and his editor, the literary giant Robert Gottlieb, in this chronicle of a unique 50-year professional relationship.
Really good doc even if not into reading.
Now I want to read “The Power Broker” by Robert Caro for which he won a Pulitzer Prize.
Now I want to read “The Power Broker” by Robert Caro for which he won a Pulitzer Prize
Been reading it lately, excellent. A great view of how politics work.
I read two of Caro’s books on LBJ, Master of the Senate is amazing and Passage of Power one of the best books I’ve ever read, history or otherwise. Hope I can access that documentary.

