What now? Another food scare, food recall?

[quote=“nonredneck”][quote=“wudjamahuh”]I always want to scold and slap penny pinching news ignoring dimwits I see at Costco purchasing “High Quality Milk”

Maybe they don’t know that the producers of this milk have been busted twice recently for their unfit for human consumption cooking oils. Maybe they do know this, and they’re pleased to ignore it to save $20. It seems to be that as long as the locals are so quick to forget and forgive in exchange for price reductions and promotions, these companies will have no motivation to change their ways.[/quote]

Costco stopping importing California milk. Is there another brand one can buy? I don’t know what brand is safe.[/quote]

I’m very sad about the milk at Costco. :frowning: I’ve been buying boxed milk from Wellcome that’s imported from Australia in the absence of the California milk, as I do not trust local brands.

The story about the teenage boy with colon cancer is horrifying. That is truly criminal. Poor lad. Stories like that make me worry about what I’m unknowingly subjecting my children to.

[quote]The Portuguese, Dutch, Spanish, Japanese and Chinese have all landed here at one point or another, and their foods combined with local flavours to create a true hybrid cuisine.

Read more: lonelyplanet.com/taiwan/taip … z3W8H3nayN[/quote]

By local flavors they mean sugar and 5 spice (gourmet) powder I think!

Still wonder if the stinky tofu manufacturers have been inspected already … because sales of that’s exploding … and the deep fried fake squid (probably surimi of some kind with flavors added)

[quote]The natural environment of this small, crowded island is reflected at mealtimes, too: fresh seafood, forest greens, wild fruits and native animals like wild boar are staples. Likewise, experimental eaters will find Taiwan full of freaky foodstuffs.

Read more: lonelyplanet.com/taiwan/taip … z3W8ICnkLm[/quote]

Forrest greens? Ferns! Native animals … Black ‘mountain’ pig? Wild fruits? like what? Wild bananas?

This caught my attention; are they selling fake squid/cuttlefish or something on the streets?

This caught my attention; are they selling fake squid/cuttlefish or something on the streets?[/quote]

Yes they do, the deep fried breaded kind … cut in ‘pieces’ (just a terrible taste to it) … not the whole ones on a stick, bbq’d.

Ther was this piece of news that was really interesting. There is this kind of small dish or tapa that they serve here with your noodles, that is like fried fish skin. Lo and behold, someone took it “to go” and it was during those cold days of winter, so he decided to add the fish to his soup -it is usually eaten cold, and he was not in the mood for that. To his amazement, the fish dissolved like gelatin in hot water.

Turns out there is this whole industry of fake “fried fish skin”. The real thing, as in Japanese style restaurants, has very thin, non elastic, non dissolvable skin stripes. The one usually sold by the big companies to the small restaurant owners is a chemical concoction… as usual. No, not Jello. And no closer to real fish than a piece of plastic.

The best part is that the news crew went back to the small eatery where the story came from. The laoban was genuinely shocked when they repeated the experiment in front of him and truly had no idea that the stuff he was selling was seriously fake.

Do you know it for a fact? the ones I’ve tried didn’t make me think of sirumi, BUT the deep fried cuttlefish is strangely as expensive or even less than the fresh one on the supermarket…

Do you know it for a fact? the ones I’ve tried didn’t make me think of sirumi, BUT the deep fried cuttlefish is strangely as expensive or even less than the fresh one on the supermarket…[/quote]
Just by texture you already know it’s fake … and than the taste.

Do you know it for a fact? the ones I’ve tried didn’t make me think of sirumi, BUT the deep fried cuttlefish is strangely as expensive or even less than the fresh one on the supermarket…[/quote]
Just by texture you already know it’s fake … and than the taste.[/quote]
But is there any news or anything whatsoever confirming on this? I’m not saying it’s not possible, I just want to know if there’s any official info on it.

But is there any news or anything whatsoever confirming on this? I’m not saying it’s not possible, I just want to know if there’s any official info on it.[/quote]

Nobody cares, it’s flavored surimi, there is fake chicken, fake fish, fake anything meat for vegetarians …

But is there any news or anything whatsoever confirming on this? I’m not saying it’s not possible, I just want to know if there’s any official info on it.[/quote]

Chus, learn Chinese, watch the news. Every week they find fake something, everything.

Chus, learn Chinese, watch the news. Every week they find fake something, everything.[/quote]
I’m not saying otherwise. But, how about this food specifically?

I’ve been wondering how or if travel writers are going to deal with this. Until perhaps a year and a half ago all the articles about the wonders of Taiwan food were barely comprehensible (even if I never did get the appeal), but the fact that I’m STILL getting those stories in my news feed has me wondering what the heck is going on. “Come to Taiwan! You won’t enjoy the food, and it may kill you, but the night markets are, um, well, never mind. Stay home!”

As a university teacher, I frequently see presentations from students about the glorious foods of Taiwan. I’m on the verge of banning that topic, because every time it shows up I seem to gain more of a reputation as one of those foreign teachers who really hates Taiwan.

On the forest greens: I have had plenty of tasty dishes in mountain areas from “mountain greens”, whatever the heck those were. But those were in the days when I ate locally cooked food. I think I’m at the point now that I eat more Chinese food on my yearly month in Vancouver than I do during the other eleven months in Taiwan.

Sadly I have to say this is quite reasonable. The quality of the Chinese food (and the Korean food, and the sushi) in Vancouver is off the charts! :slight_smile:

My Taiwanese friends living there do however miss the nice range of veggies available in Taiwan.

Guy

[quote=“antarcticbeech”]Tainted ‘stomach powder’.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2015/04/02/432612/Weidalon-found.htm[/quote] :noway: :noway: :frowning: :eh: So what do I do? DO I TAKE THE POWDER BACK TO THE STORE? Will I live? I don’t take it that often, but the stress from this situation is kind of why I take the Stomach powder in the first place… I

But Taiwan food is soooooo famous all over the world… ha, cheap is all it is.

cheap because it’s fake food. that is the conclusion I’ve reached.

Sadly I have to say this is quite reasonable. The quality of the Chinese food (and the Korean food, and the sushi) in Vancouver is off the charts! :slight_smile:

My Taiwanese friends living there do however miss the nice range of veggies available in Taiwan.

Guy[/quote]

I really don’t get what you mean with the nice range of veggies … most things you see here are greens … onions … mushrooms. But I know we have a much bigger range in Belgium, Europe …

There are lots of different greens here - not that I have a clue what to do with them beyond stir fry with ginger and garlic. There are also plenty of things for Chinese cuisine (lotus, bamboo shoots, different sorts of mushrooms), but again, I don’t know how to make those work with my own cooking. If you’re trying to cook Western, yeah, the range here is pretty limited - but there’s lots of variety if you’re cooking Taiwanese.

What Lostinasia said.

Many–but of course not all–of the awesome veggies in Taiwan are greens. If you’re around Taipei or Xinbei, one place where this all comes together is the old street in Wulai, where they display the available veggies-of-the-day in front of the shop. You tell them what you want, or simply point, and presto! You have a terrific meal. :slight_smile:

Guy

What Lostinasia said.

Many–but of course not all–of the awesome veggies in Taiwan are greens. If you’re around Taipei or Xinbei, one place where this all comes together is the old street in Wulai, where they display the available veggies-of-the-day in front of the shop. You tell them what you want, or simply point, and presto! You have a terrific meal. :slight_smile:

Guy[/quote]
Yeah, the vegetables look great and taste great. You can get a decent meal if you cook at home. My wife hated the look of the vegetables in the states during our winter time visit.

But, I often pass through farmland here to get to the next village. Tractor pulled sprayers. Farmers wrapped from head to toe in clothing with a double cans of insecticide on their backs. They look like alien invaders. What a smell that you wish you’ve worn a face mask. I wonder if they don’t use just a touch too much pesticide… The wife washes the veggies well but … you wonder…