What now? Another food scare, food recall?

Another food scandal brewing

What is with these companies wanting to use industrial grade stuff to put into food …GREED!

It is like the sixth food scandal this year so far, actually. Makes you want to resort to imports only… oops, can’t, as they are being inspected and taxed to death. So it is buy local or don’t eat.

And you want me to return to Taiwan?

Or take us the whole lot back to Vancouver!

You wanna hike … eat good food and drink excellent beer! Not spiced with ‘gourmet powder’!

More shit…

From the TT article linked above:

[quote]Lin Yu-fen said edible magnesium carbonate is a legitimate food additive primarily used to absorb moisture in seasoning powders.

“However, magnesium carbonate that is intended for industrial applications could contain heavy metals such as lead and arsenic because it is less refined. Long-term consumption of the substance can lead to liver and renal impairment,” she said.[/quote]

You might wonder what sort of severe response adding such poison to foods would receive? Here’s your answer:

Sometimes I think I just need to leave this place.

Guy

Tainted food is probably the real reason Taiwan has such a high rate of cancer.

+1. Or perhaps +100.

that and poluted air and water.

There’s never gonna be an end, is there?

When stuff like this comes out, which lately is every other week, I wonder where all the fine ladies and gentleman idolizing Taiwan’s food are and what they think.

Nope. Let’s say it is complicated.

Like this news:

:cry:

First of all, aside from the parents’ responsibility to monitor a healthy, varied diet, my question is what the heck is in those sausages?! I mean, in the West we do have nitrate in our sausages and bologna and salami and we may have one stuff of that kind every day. We do have high rates of colon cancer but a kid dead in less than 4 years eating that?!

I know. I am disgusted with food promoting articles on Taiwan these days, as if the scandals never happened. I have argued with a few food writers about this but their attitude has been that this is a global problem so meh.

I really don’t even know how I will approach this next year with the update to the Taiwan Lonely Planet. My editors will have a fit if we emphasize the problem too much.

Tainted ‘stomach powder’.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2015/04/02/432612/Weidalon-found.htm

These sausages have lot’s of fat (up to 60%), sugar and nitrates to keep color … and look fresh.

I always want to scold and slap penny pinching news ignoring dimwits I see at Costco purchasing “High Quality Milk”

Maybe they don’t know that the producers of this milk have been busted twice recently for their unfit for human consumption cooking oils. Maybe they do know this, and they’re pleased to ignore it to save $20. It seems to be that as long as the locals are so quick to forget and forgive in exchange for price reductions and promotions, these companies will have no motivation to change their ways.

Pure greed but doesn’t surprise me, just won’t pay more money for the food grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Costco stopping importing California milk. Is there another brand one can buy? I don’t know what brand is safe.

I know. I am disgusted with food promoting articles on Taiwan these days, as if the scandals never happened. I have argued with a few food writers about this but their attitude has been that this is a global problem so meh.

I really don’t even know how I will approach this next year with the update to the Taiwan Lonely Planet. My editors will have a fit if we emphasize the problem too much.[/quote]
:loco:

I really don’t even know how I will approach this next year with the update to the Taiwan Lonely Planet. My editors will have a fit if we emphasize the problem too much.[/quote]
:loco:[/quote]

Doesn’t Taiwan bribe Lonely planet? I read this article about how great Taiwan’s food is.

lonelyplanet.com/taiwan/taip … wonderland

At the bottom is this note [emphasis is mine]

Megan travelled to Taiwan with support from the Taiwan Ministry for Foreign Affairs. When Lonely Planet contributors receive assistance from travel providers such as tourist boards, airlines, and so on to conduct first-hand research, we retain our editorial independence at all times, and never accept anything in return for positive coverage.

My first reaction is bllsht. The fact that the trip was paid for by the Taiwanese government indicates they bought off Lonely Planet in exchange for positive coverage (no mention of food scandals, sanitary conditions)