What paint for bathroom walls/ceiling?

Hi there!

I’m planning to re-paint my bathroom - basically, the bottom half is tiles, and the top half is normal wall with paint that’s peeling off everywhere. So I wanna re-paint that. Just spent two hours on Shopee trying to find some paint that works - but I can’t figure it out -.- The internet says any latex paint with glossy finish would do. But all I can find is matte finishes, somehow.

Does anyone have a recommendation for brands that work, or the Chinese term I should search for?
That Nippon paint with the lotus leaf image sounds like it might work, but it’s also just eggshell finish…

Thanks for any hints (:

Epoxy based paint.

Latex paint will last exactly 2 months in a bathroom. The humidity is mindbogglingly high.

You must first strip the wall down to concrete, then use epoxy based primer and paint on the wall. Either that, or those water resistant paint for use outdoor.

Or strip the paint down to concrete and tile the sucker. There’s a reason why bathrooms are covered in tile and not anything else. In the states they use special drywall for bathrooms that are more moisture resistant. But you do not spray the wall/ceiling with water while showering in the states either, you have dedicated shower stalls/bath tubs that double as shower with curtains and all that.

If you’re just going to use latex paint then save your money.

If your bathroom is one of those that have shower doors or whatever, then you can paint any area outside the shower stall with paint, but if it’s like any TW bathroom where you spray water everywhere to shower, then no, nothing less than epoxy will last. I still recommend an oil based paint though. Latex isn’t good with any water contact at all.

https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DEAC1H-A900C36O4?fq=/S/DQBD2D

I have used this in the past with no problems for 2 years now
(it looks to have changes a bit but I think it was this one).

I went into the Rainbow paint shop and asked, I had a few things I was painting at the time, rusty metal, bathroom walls, outside concrete, etc they are helpful and all the recommended stuff worked.

Its internal waterproof, washable and most important for a bathroom anti-mold, if you google you may find a shop in your area.

Thanks so much, both of you!

This is a really cheap apartment (and yeah, the ‘bathroom is the shower’ kind) , so lasting a couple of years only is actually fine with me. Would look weird if only one wall in this place was ‘properly’ done XD
Plus I don’t have a lot of resources to invest in this project, so I think I’ll go for the latex paint.

Actually this should be something your landlord does, why are you painting it for them? Not your fault if they use a shit design and didn’t bother to use the right kind of paint.

If the shit design causes leak that damages other part of the house, and you told the landlord about this, and he does nothing, you’ve done your part, and you’re not responsible for any damage that should occur if nothing is done.

I’d just leave it, or put shower curtain over the wall to stop water from touching it. The curtain is way cheaper than the paint. And you really only need to cover the part the water touches, not the entire bathroom.

My previous “home” had a bathroom wall that is done with those cement foam kind of block (I forgot what the trade name for it is, it’s very light for its size), and the landlord put paint over it. Except he used the right kind of paint so it was unaffected even 2 years later.

My landlord seems to have forgotten he could raise the rent for a decade or two, I’m not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth :V And no, leaks to below aren’t an issue. Really most of the damage to the old paint is from haphazardly drilled holes and attached mirrors and stuff (and the last guy just painted around the mirror and lamp lol), so I’m not too worried. Just wanna make it look a bit nicer.

Before you commit to this, notice the price of this paint:

It isn’t cheap, and this is a 1 gallon container. You may need more than one.

Oil based paint that is impervious to water is likely cheaper!!!

Here is an oil based paint:

https://24h.pchome.com.tw/prod/DEDQ0A-A900FH1WJ

It’s half the price of the waterproof latex paint. If your landlord had any sense this is likely what he used to begin with.

There is only one colour to use though - white.

I am surprised @Taiwan_Luthiers would recommend oil based paint and for half a bathroom 1ltr or good quality paint should be enough. Just work out your wall size and the coverage will be on the tin.

I do recommend just going to the shop and having a chat with them, they should know their products.

https://www.maderenovation.com/blog/best-paint-for-bathrooms

1 Like

Just to summarize some of my findings for whoever finds this thread later:

• When the previous paint is latex paint, you’d have to remove it all before using oil based paint. So, much easier to keep whatever paint is still attached and paint over it with latex paint. To test which one you have: Rub the old paint with some rubbing alcohol. If it dissolves, it’s latex.
  • Teflon production releases a bunch of chemicals into the environment that literally never decompose and are rather harmful. So, while I trust that that would last a while in a bathroom, I opted not to use teflon paint.
  • Latex paint dries in a couple hours, but takes a week or so to cure, so keeping it dry for a few days after painting will make it last much better.
  • I asked in a paint store, and got led to that nippon paint with the lotus leaf picture. It covered the walls really well and looks cool; I shall report back if it falls off the walls.