What percentage of the population should be vaccinated and why

And we’ll still have a bunch of silly rules about what we can and can’t do, with COVID running wild. But the myth of Taiwanese exeptionalism seems remarkably robust.

2 Likes

I really see things more along the lines as everybody wanting to get rid of the restrictions as soon as possible. There’s a lot of silliness in the rules but I see that as resulting from stupidity and ignorance, and not some grand plan to control the masses. Luckily I like the outdoors and so do my kids (my wife is maybe not quite as enthusiastic as us about being out in the sun all day!), so our weekends for example have only been minimally impacted. The pools are not as welcoming now but we have made adjustments and we’re cycling more, for example. I started running again, which is a huge plus because this means I’ll be entering a few more triathlons. And because of limited swimming opportunities in and around Hualien City, we found out that Xitiping at the southern end of Hualien is not bad at all for snorkeling and hanging out in the sun. So life goes on for me and my family. The rules suck but we’re still managing to enjoy things.

2 Likes

I’m sure they do. But judging from the experience of other countries with high vaccination rates, I suspect they’ll be horribly disappointed. Whether there’s a “grand plan” or not, the people pulling the strings seem to be intoxicated with their status and power, and probably aren’t going back to their little cubbyholes without a struggle. They’ve also locked themselves into a position where their plan to defeat COVID absolutely has to work, and if (when) it fails to do so, they’re going to panic.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Coronavirus Vaccine in Taiwan - September/October 2021

where did you get that number?
I know an ICU in a town of 150000
with one covid baby 6 month old and a 12 years old in the ICU with covid…

Everyone possible should get the jab.
After that, we all should/must return to normal life and live with the virus!

“Of 3,105 deaths from all causes among the 12 million or so people under 18 in England between March 2020 and February 2021, 25 were attributable to COVID-19 — a rate of about 2 for every million people in this age range. None had asthma or type-1 diabetes, the authors note, and about half had conditions that put them at a higher risk than healthy children of dying from any cause.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01897-w

3 Likes

No need. We can already live ‘with the virus’ and ‘return to normal’ without vaxxing every man, woman, child and fetus.

It’s government/ Big Pharma overreach and scare tactics that is making people think they need to take vaccines every few months for the rest of their lives. It’s not an proportionate response to the actual threat of Covid, no matter how much alarmist propaganda we see on this forum.

Only get vaxxed if you want and need to. We shouldn’t try and force anyone and everyone to get vaxxed to ‘become free.’ The freedoms we seek were taken away unnecessarily and now many believe these can only return if the entire world signs up to the lifetime vaccine program.

That may be one’s choice, to get vaxxed, or not, choice but we shouldn’t try and force it onto others.

Whether one is pro or anti vax, we should allow others to make their choice freely.

4 Likes

It is amazing that you are so surprised by that number.

The scare stories in the media have really affected people’s perception of the danger.

What did you think the chances of a kid dying from covid was?

And now you know it, do you still think that everyone should be vaccinated?

4 Likes

They have no plan to return to normal and people will realize it but it will be too late. But it will all be the unvax fault even though it isn’t.

4 Likes

Reminds me of a classic line from one of the oldtimers: “Taiwan is what it is, even when it isn’t.”

1 Like