What’s one business that you feel is missing from Taipei?

Latin grocers that serve taco plates and tamales, Whole foods, Central Market, and Trader Joe’s.

9 Likes

Miss those so much… :sob:

1 Like

You said this:

And this can’t be the case if every park is full of people. Even the old people are doing traditional exercises at the MRT.

What does this have to do with celebrities?

1 Like

Aren’t they supposed to be decrepit? Like pool halls.

IMO Taipei has way too much of exactly the same stuff. Breakfast shops all serving the same mystery-meat burgers and dan bing. Crappy pasta restaurants serving the same crappy recipes. Bakeries all selling strange sweet squishy breads. Department stores all selling the same overpriced products that nobody ever even buys. A bit more diversity would be nice. It’s definitely getting better, but there’s still a lot of duplication of effort.

11 Likes

Sure, but have you been there? It’s decrepit to the point whether you wonder if it is an abandoned building as you are entering.

2 Likes

Yea one big reason why I hate Taiwan so much, there is zero diversity here. I don’t know if it’s because of the superstitious but never question elder population here, or that Taiwan’s market is simply too small.

Is Japan similar? I read Japan basically have no diversity, and the people don’t want it either.

1 Like

There is certainly a lack of creativity and innovative spirit in like most bakeries. I guess business owners just don’t want to spend extra time and risk loosing money by trying something new and selling something different that might not be accepted and then goes to waste. Customers are probably not asking for anything new either.

But be ready to be surprised. Last time in Donggang, of all places, I had sandwiches filled with strawberries and kiwis at a tiny breakfast shop near a vegetable market there. :yum:

3 Likes

New supermarkets that don’t sell exactly the same stuff also.
Carrefour has a “few” different western style but even they are shy of pushing it further.
Noticed in my local Carrefour often out of stock western foods and same Brands PX Mart sell creeping in.
Gonna be total Taiwanese style food only soon I’m thinking.
Evolution doesn’t happen in Taiwan.

4 Likes

Nice place to eat normal food.
Let’s say I want to get a high quality gourmet 雞排 in a plate with some nice stuff.
They need some creativity.

It’s so bad now the scoring is almost random. You get spares awarded on splits. The owners are just sitting on the land since it’s worth a fortune.

1 Like

Dare I say it, but Costco is going the same way. Used to be all imported goods and Kirkland own brand stuff. Now Taiwanese products, especially food and snacks, are creeping in.

Not as bad a Carrefour though, where foreign foods are now confined to a few aisles.

1 Like

They must’ve been approached by developers several times now.

1 Like

Sometimes they’ll sit for years. My whole alley was due to be knocked down but a bunch of neighbors are holding out.

Strip or lap-dancing club. Weird they don’t exist here.

Not for me obviously, but I know some men would be really into that.

2 Likes

Is there a good arcade with modern games in Taipei city somewhere? As in not full of choppy twenty year old games in Russian/simplified Chinese.

Places that sell sandwiches for lunch instead of only breakfast time. And that are not subway. I love me some bian dang but i’m all bian danged out mate.

4 Likes

They do exist jiudian

Just a different format

Yea I eat lunchboxes because it’s cheaper than buying meat and vegetables then cook them. A piece of chicken at px mart or carrefour costs more than a single lunchbox. How are they making a profit?

1 Like

By using expired meat and gutter oil. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

By the way in addition to the bowling alley at jiantan mrt station there is another close to the b&q. There is also a bowling alley in danshui but I don’t know if it’s still open.