What’s the best mosquito repellent here?

+1 on the blue one, works wonders

We also use the plug in repellent when we sleep because they love to bite my daughter. Works okay in my opinion

1 Like

Hell no.

Don’t put those cancer machines in your home.

All those scent machines are harmful.

1 Like

Evidence?

1 Like

If we could go the natural route then it would be better but desperate times calls for desperate measures. These little bastards are from hell leaving you itchy for days. The plug in oils and black bottle repellent above has been a lifesaver. It can be bought at Carrefour or stationary stores (Kuang Nan). You can also wear perfume/cologne. I use body mists too but they work only about 80% of the time an eau de parfum will bump that number up. For relief use an ointment with menthol or icy hot/vapor rub/tiger bum on the bites. Good luck!

Thank you! I bought an antihistamine today because I seem to be super sensitive - I’m literally covered in lumps and look like I have some kind of disease. Hopefully it clears up soon, I’ll definitely never step outside again without bug spray lol

1 Like

I’m finding it super difficult to find any DEET-having spray even in the bigger pharmacies in Taoyuan, every single spray I can find is essential oil based, except one tiny bottle that is around $700 that has something else as an active ingredient.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23614730/

Not something I’d risk my family’s safety over.

3 Likes

You can buy Off everywhere.

Get some dexmethasone/betamethsone cream from the pharmacy.

For us we actually very rarely turn on the plug in type mosquito repellant. During the summer we have AC on most of the time and find that we have rarely seen mosquitoes when AC is on. At other times of the year if mosquitoes bother us especially when we are sleeping we turn the plug in thing on. But when mosquitoes are not bothering us we turn it off. I have been doing this for over 20 years

I’ve never use plug in scented things (the smell is too overpowering for me) but I do have a big zapping light. I worry about killing non mosquitos with it though. I always find a very happy spider in the bottom tray when I go to clean it out…

2 Likes

i normally get it online but you can find it around
https://shopee.tw/免驚蚊防蚊液(DEET)-贈麗潔齒隨身攜帶漱口水-奧運、美軍指定使用成份-i.84168688.1407764579?sp_atk=3b27bc0f-c3a1-4d4f-b66b-3b933ddad2c1

Have you tried the herbal coil incense that smells a bit like weed, i get them from the temple supply shops. They seam to work pretty well for me, i just put one on each balcony. Also good for masking any strange cooking smells from next door.

1 Like

I’ve seen them but never thought to try them. I’m not sure I want my apartment smelling like weed though…

1 Like

My suggestion is similar to this one, but to use a fan instead of AC. These links are encouraging

Repel Mosquitoes with Electric Fans, Tips to Keep Bugs Away, Insects

https://www.stltoday.com/5-proven-ways-to-keep-those-mosquitoes-away-from-your-cookout/article_0bb41eb8-3f01-11e6-906f-db7402dcbb40.html

#3 Mosquitoes can’t fly in the wind that a fan creates, so use two to three fans to create a barrier around your cookout

Fact #3: Although mosquitoes seem fast when you are trying to swat them, they are actually slow flyers. The average flight speed of a mosquito is 1 to 1.5 miles per hour, which is slower than butterflies, bees, and virtually every other flying insect.

“We recommend that fan-generated wind should be pursued as a practical means of protecting humans or pets from mosquitoes in the backyard setting,” they wrote.

For an indoor setting, a fan on medium or high speed should do the job.

3 Likes

Fans are good too. We use AC because we have it on anyways in the summer because it is hot. At same time it keeps mosquitoes away. In the winter we sometimes use fan when not too cold and probably also accomplishes same purpose with mosquitoes. We use plug-in repellant as last resort

1 Like

I would like to remind everyone that there is a special place in hell for individuals who believe that crowded, enclosed, indoor spaces are appropriate locations to give yourself and the entire family a bug spray shower.

Can you go to hell twice?

1 Like

Discovered the culprit (sort of).

Some idiot in our dorm is leaving the balcony doors open while nobody is around, letting all manner of bugs blow in from outside.

I thought they might have been coming in through the AC when it was turned off, but I guess we can’t do anything about it now except buy a fan ASAP.

1 Like

No screen on the door?

1 Like

There’s a screen, but they’re leaving that open too.