What’s the biggest vehicle I can drive with a normal license?

I’m in the early stages of considering a shuttle bus sized vehicle for a camper conversion, but not sure if I am allowed to drive them on my current TW license which is just for standard vehicles. Does anyone know the rules on what the biggest vehicle you can drive with the standard Taiwan license?

Download.ashx (thb.gov.tw)

1 Like

If you want a camper, you have to buy a camper.

Vehicle modifications are illegal in Taiwan, and yes this includes modifying any vehicle into a camper.

I asked about this and that’s what I was told.

There are ways to do it legally

An ordinary light vehicle driver’s license permits you to drive vehicles weighing up to 3,500 kg and accommodating up to nine seats, including the driver’s seat.

source:

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I understand this isn’t related to the original question, but I’ve found some campervan rental choices online that you might want to explore:

FAQ

Q: What type of driver’s license do I need to drive a campervan?

A: You are allowed to drive on the road with an automatic transmission light vehicle license.

Q: Where do the campervans go for overnight stays?

A: Due to the road conditions, road use regulations and problems related to electricity and water supply in Taiwan, it is advisable to park and camp in campsites.

Q: Which sites are not allowed to park?

A: Except for those locations where overnight parking is not permitted by law and those in private areas, other locations can be chosen according to the camper’s own preference.

Q: What are the places where you can’t cook outdoors?

A: Outdoor cooking is not permitted in National Parks and must be done in designated picnic areas. Alternatively, you can cook in your campervan.

Q: What is the maximum speed of the campervan? Is it safe to change lanes?

A: Campervans are subject to the same road regulations as light vehicles and are allowed to use the inner lane. However, as campervans are non-conventional vehicles, drivers are advised to avoid changing lanes frequently and to pay attention to driving.

This video is for the KKday option

source:

1 Like

Can you elaborate on that? How do you legally turn a minivan into a camper? I have a friend who is completely obsessed with this.

Someone posted a link on campervan rentals and sales a while back. I think this is it.

TL, there are some YouTube videos about coversions. I think Noel shared this one on another thread. Not sure of legalities.

I had this thought three seconds ago

Ftfy

I’m aware of the how to do these conversion, but need to know how to do it legally. My understanding is vehicle modifications are illegal here.

Illegal? Yes. Enforced? Hahaha.

However it’s always a risk that the vehicle can be confiscated. I’m sure there’s a ton of vehicle outfitters out there who will do the work.

I thought one of the presidential candidates wanted to legalize vehicle modifications?

Yes it’s true. Actually I’ve been thinking about converting a Delica for a few months, but they are just a tiny bit too small. The shuttle bus idea was new to me this morning though! Haha

road traffic safety rules says “If there is any change in the car body style, number or size of tires, fuel type, seats, tonnage, engine, frame, body, headlights and other equipment or the nature of use, color, name of the car owner, main driver of the car, address, etc., All must be registered with the highway supervisory authority.”

Your modified vehicle just needs to pass their inspection and to be registered.

4 Likes

As long as your finished vehicle meets their specifications and safety requirements, you should be able to pass. There are lots of guides online talking about it

1 Like

Making a camper will certainly change some of these.

In practice is this easy or is it insanely hard to do?

You can also do it in units that can be removed/ clip into place.

I have seen a few of these online. Seems like a good solution.

Not true.

I passed a shop that does this in Taichung a few times.

Maybe they can give some info’s on the inspection procedure over the phone. They obviously have experience how to pass the inspection based on reviews.

1 Like