What should I do if an employer failed to pay me

What should I do if an employer failed to pay me for the hours I worked?

I admit when I left the job ( had to return to home country for family reasons) it was not the best way to leave. When I came back to Taiwan I just felt like I wanted to explore new possibilities…

I’ll know my contract said if I break the contract I need to pay this and that … and there is even something in there about threatening to sue me…

I really do feel I should be paid for the time I worked… from what I read … the law is on my side…

Please provide details.
What kind of job did you do? How long did you work there? How many hours/days/months are missing? Did you give notice before leaving?

Language teacher.
Not so many months.
Initially I just took leave to attend a funeral. I know it was not the best way to go … but…

Just missing pay from the 25-5th as they have a funny pay period… but still that’s hours worked… and yes I have open work permit in Taiwan

you may consult with the labour department of your local government.

1 Like

They might argue you owe them money for breaking contract without enough time to hire a replacement teacher. There’s probably something in your contract about the period of notice you have to give (60-90 days) before you can leave the job. Since you breached that, you might have a tough time getting the money. And future employment here will probably be difficult for a few years as you might be blacklisted.

1 Like

Was it a buxiban, a private school, or a public school? Buxiban teachers and some private school teachers are subject to the Labor Standards Act, in which case you get a certain number of days of paid leave following the death of a family member (depending on which type of family member), plus a certain number of days of unpaid leave for personal reasons, and they can’t deduct a breach penalty from your salary (they need to file a civil lawsuit to enforce the penalty).

Also, regardless of whether you’re subject to the LSA, the death of a family member may result in a labor insurance benefit.

I second Tando’s suggestion to talk to your local labor department.

2 Likes

All true, sir HOWEVER, none of those Bereavement benefits are automatic, and acquiring them can be a beaucratic nightmare of Tuttlean proportions

(Me and Tia @Icon can attest to this :wink:)
I only bring it up because the OP might have a hard time using it in their defense without having ever actually applied for it.
Or not :idunno:
Anyways,

Absolutely, me three.

1 Like