What TEFL certification company do you recommend?

I’m looking at getting a TEFL certification and I saw many options online. It seems like the general consensus is to get one that is internationally reconized with a minimun of 120 hours. What company would you recommend getting the certificaion through? How vital would having in-class hours be? Any other bits of info wouild greatly be appreciated!

Thanks for your help! O! I’m currently in Taiwan and I’m planning to get the certification while I’m here (I’m just going to visa hop until I’m able to get everything sorted)

CELTA, but you’d need to go to Chiang Mai to do it.

The British Council run the young learners version in Taipei, CELTYL.

3 Likes

Used to be there was CELTA, and there was everything else. Been a while for me, but that was a great course

2 Likes

My son just completed a TEFL/TESOL online certification with World TESOL Academy.
Somewhere on their website it says it meets the requirements for Taiwan and a list of other country visa/work requirements. We haven’t confirmed that though as he just wants it for his resume.
From their FB messenger they answered any questions we had very soon.
Their study/test platform was very user friendly. Everything worked as claimed. 1000 NT with downloadable certificate. 1,000 extra if you want a fancy embossed certificate.

I was just looking at 100% online programs with remote in-class observation. Trinity DipTESOL also. Just looked, Cambridge also lists online DELTA programs. You can be a teaching trainer with the latter two. Why don’t some people get DELTAs and open a training center here? There’s a lack of credible credential programs in Taiwan.

There are also cheaper options that offer “CELTA equivalent” certification which they claim is an Ofqual-regulated Level 5 qualification. That only really means anything in the UK. Outside, it’s whatever the school or government is willing to recognize.

That’s an easy claim since Taiwan has no real regulation on TEFL qualifications. The only work visa regulation that mentions a TEFL is that an associates degree + a TEFL certificate is an accepted qualification for a work permit if the applicant doesn’t have a BA/BS. But TEFL certificates are usually not accredited, or if they are there’s no universally accepted accreditation agency. I was never able to get a clear answer about what TEFL certificate would be accepted for a visa in that circumstance. It seemed like they decide on a case-by-case basis.
There is one more case I learned recently. A TEFL/TESOL certificate from an accredited university that’s at least 1/3 in person + a degree in education (maybe in English), qualifying teaching experience, and some other things can be used in lieu of a teaching certificate to qualify for a public school job.
Outside of those government, a TEFL is only useful if an employer requires it. Some do, some don’t.

3 Likes

That was my purpose for the suggestion. Wasn’t sure of OPs reason for wanting one.

1 Like

You mean observation and practice teaching time? I would put “hands-on experience with someone who knows how to guide you” over classroom theory and expensive pieces of paper (certificates) any day.

I taught full time for two years with all but student teaching completed for a fully fledged teaching license. What I learned in my first week of student teaching with someone who knew what she was doing lead me to take virtually everything I knew and throw it out. Since then, going back and reading peoples theory and research has been vital to me developing as a teacher, but at the beginning, you really need guidance in your own or a co-taught classroom by someone who can actually help you, not front-loaded theory and a certificate.

3 Likes

Why is that? Is Chiang Mai the only nearby place you can do a CELTA course? That’s surprising…

(Just asking out of curiosity.)

I’m looking into getting one because I want to teach here in Taiwan. I want to be actually good at my job so I want proper training. I figured asking people who have experience would be better than guessing what TEFL programs are rubbish and what ones are worthwhile.

Then sounds like you may want one of the recommended in person courses. Or maybe some school that offers good training?

I’m sure there are others. But that’s the one I know of. A nice place to spend a month, too.

1 Like

The British Council attempted a CELTA programme, but there wasn’t enough interest. TEFL certificates generally aren’t required, so people don’t bother taking it.

Their CELTYL programme has been running for a few years, so there is enough demand for that.

Loads of people have DELTAs in Taiwan. A few posters on here do. Three of my mates do.

When i did my CELTA, they always said Trinity* and CELTA are the same level of recognition and legitimacy. Can’t go wrong with either imo.

1 Like

Did they mean Trinity? A DELTA is the diploma level of CELTA. Next level up.

1 Like

A TEFL certificate program is not proper “training”. It’s education. I agree with @nz that actual classroom training is more valuable. I’ve never had one, and not ever schools that list it as a requirement overlook it because of my experience.
If you really want training, and I can’t believe I’m going to say this because I hate them, but Hess has their own training program and they hire new teachers. They actually give TEFL certificates which are recognized by Hess. To other schools in Taiwan, they’ll recognize your experience at Hess over the paper. A few other schools have training, but Hess is at least good enough at it to run a large and successful business.

Makes sense. The certificate itself is around 2-3 months teaching salary. There have been more schools requiring a TEFL certificate or preferring it, but after a decrease in foreigners they may have stopped. After a decrease in students, they may require it again.
Do you have any information about the CELTYL program? I don’t see any information about one in Taiwan.

It’s my understand that CELTA is a Level 5 professional qualification while DELTA is a Level 7 / masters level qualification (but not a masters degree as there are fewer hours). DELTA also qualifies you as a teacher trainer. While you can get a job with either, you can get a job with neither, but DELTA would make you more preferable as a candidate.

Trinity DipTESOL is the same level as DELTA, unless there’s another Trinity certificate I haven’t heard of.

I might be mistaken. The BC might be teaching TYLEC. My memory is terrible.

Same same, though.

Edit if you Google ‘British Council Taipei TYLEC’ there’s an application form.

Yes my bad, my memory :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Agree and disagree. I think doing the CELTA was great for getting me from a point of very little relevant experience to being able to somewhat competently teach classes upon my arrival here. The point of the education is that you can better integrated new techniques and experiences from training into your teaching and if the OP hasn’t really taught before, s/he should 100 percent go for it. I’m a pretty anxious person and without that course I would’ve been so much worse off. So yes, you can just jump in, but i do thoroughly recommend doing CELTA as it definitely helps build some really good behaviors and practices around teaching.

My experience with CELTA was I wasn’t totally crap when I set foot in a classroom. I was aware that I needed to grade my language, at least.

I’m not sure. The TYLEC appears to be only 100 hours, and 120 is the standard minimum.

I don’t disagree with that, but I still wouldn’t call classwork “training”. Although I think we’re talking about different things. I was referring to online TEFL courses that were being discussed, and I think the CELTA requires actual mentored teaching training.