What the f*ck?

Well hate to our fuel on the fire but did anybody see the case recently about the two mastiffs being killed in a Chinese city recently by a mob.

Specifically a bunch of policemen and security guards beat and shot the dogs to death. Now it must be said that the Tibetan mastiff is a fierce dog that they are scared of but the two dogs were just wandering around not bothering anybody.

China and animals just don’t go well together.

I mean they managed to make their own symbol, the Chinese tiger, go extinct without much of a murmur.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Well hate to our fuel on the fire but did anybody see the case recently about the two mastiffs being killed in a Chinese city recently by a mob.

I mean they managed to make their own symbol, the Chinese tiger, go extinct without much of a murmur.[/quote]
Yeah, there’s all that shit about “respect Chinese culture”.

Vulgar, self-important “culture”, steeped in shit like “let’s eat the legs off of this thing, it’s bound to grow more, then we can eat those, too.”

And what is it with this Taiwanese shit of eating beef noodles and pork flesh, yet screaming like babies about the poor ke ai rabbits?

Grow the fuck up and put your balls back in your Doreamon handbags. :2cents:

grown up, balls fine and just as angry about Taiwanese animal cruelty. I do what i think i can locally, so at least i cant be called a hypocrite.

2 wrongs dont equal a right :2cents:

there is food and “humane” culture/killing, then there is prolonged torture. 2 very different things. I am vegetarian ONLY because of animal cruelty. I love meat, but the way its raise dis just plain ridiculous. Ignorance and psychosis is the only way i see people continuing along these trends.

edit, HumanE culture/killing, not human killing haha

[quote=“Pingdong”]I also used to think the vast ignorance towards environment was simply a social/environmental lack of understanding…I am starting to wonder if it may be a genetic trait in this region.[/quote] It’s Chinese people. It’s so funny that Chinese people maintain such a “holier than thou” attitude towards foreigners and their cultures, and maintain that their 5,000 years of “culture” is special, or even superior to others. Take one look at this, the bears trapped in cages for Chinese medicine, and the way they abandon pets on the street and know that their culture is superior to fucking nobody.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Well hate to our fuel on the fire but did anybody see the case recently about the two mastiffs being killed in a Chinese city recently by a mob.

Specifically a bunch of policemen and security guards beat and shot the dogs to death. Now it must be said that the Tibetan mastiff is a fierce dog that they are scared of but the two dogs were just wandering around not bothering anybody.

I mean they managed to make their own symbol, the Chinese tiger, go extinct without much of a murmur.[/quote]

Here with photos of the savages and poor dogs as it happened:

express.co.uk/news/world/441 … ing-police

What you point out, I see it more of a problem of idiotic western people than the Chinese (or any other Asian). I don’t see many people trying to convince about the superiority of their culture, I see morons look at “exotic” cultures like much more better than theirs just because they don’t understand their own culture neither the “exotic” one.

What you point out, I see it more of a problem of idiotic western people than the Chinese (or any other Asian). I don’t see many people trying to convince about the superiority of their culture, I see morons look at “exotic” cultures like much more better than theirs just because they don’t understand their own culture neither the “exotic” one.[/quote]Did I say “convincing people”? Is an air of superiority Chinese people have. It manifests itself in the form of dismissing other cultural viewpoints as “wrong” instead of merely “different”. Oh, you do that in the West? That is just simply the wrong way.

The cases of animal cruelty and negligence I’ve seen in Taiwan in my 3 years here is already too long to list, and it’s extremely depressing. In particular, I won’t forget the day I found a puppy bloodied and bruised on the side of the highway who had been hit by a car. He died later, but I won’t forget the reaction from the 100+ people who passed by while I was waiting for the animal shelter car. Most people just stared for a bit at the dog, and me, but did not offer to help.

What you point out, I see it more of a problem of idiotic western people than the Chinese (or any other Asian). I don’t see many people trying to convince about the superiority of their culture, I see morons look at “exotic” cultures like much more better than theirs just because they don’t understand their own culture neither the “exotic” one.[/quote]Did I say “convincing people”? Is an air of superiority Chinese people have. It manifests itself in the form of dismissing other cultural viewpoints as “wrong” instead of merely “different”. Oh, you do that in the West? That is just simply the wrong way.

The cases of animal cruelty and negligence I’ve seen in Taiwan in my 3 years here is already too long to list, and it’s extremely depressing. In particular, I won’t forget the day I found a puppy bloodied and bruised on the side of the highway who had been hit by a car. He died later, but I won’t forget the reaction from the 100+ people who passed by while I was waiting for the animal shelter car. Most people just stared for a bit at the dog, and me, but did not offer to help.[/quote]

Did I say I do it? May be there’s some reason for it, but I haven’t felt that Chinese people want to make me feel that their cultural heritage or society is better than mine. And I din’t do it either with mine back home. What I have noticed is many European/American people who “reached the enlightenment” in other cultures different from their own, without noticing all the flaws, contradictions, and stupidities of their new beliefs.

cause you are white (I’m assuming). ask a Filipino the same question.

The more chinese a person learns the worse it seems. I avoided learning chinese simply because of how negative people around here are.

Just when you think the Mainland Chinese (read “Mainland cockroaches”), couldn’t reach a lower level of morality, you see this.

Warning: Graphic image.
change.org/petitions/stop-co … ve-animals

Yep. In China they boil dogs alive in hot water.

[quote=“Pingdong”]cause you are white (I’m assuming). ask a Filipino the same question.

The more chinese a person learns the worse it seems. I avoided learning chinese simply because of how negative people around here are.[/quote]

Must remember that one. I’ve been telling people it was because I was too lazy/it was too difficult, which makes me look bad. :frowning:

Taiwanese don’t eat rabbits? I was wondering about that the other day. The nightmarket I went to had a bunch of them in fishtanks, I assumed for pets but hey they eat everything here.

i dont see meat, but they are certainly aware of the possibility. seen some studies here on nutrition of rabbit meat, in comparison to other species. many times local towns have families that just kill and eat things. rodents are still a huge thing in Taiwan, but you dont hear it discussed often.

I don’t know if it’s genetics but in the centuries past Western countries had their share of pollutions while they became industrialized and stuff like worker safety, environment, animal welfare are ignored because money mattered more than lives. To say it’s genetics is to justify a form of racism that Westerners are supposedly more superior because “they” are savages while in the past Westerners do the same thing that makes “them” savages. Why not just say it’s human nature because when a country drives to industrialize things like human rights, animal rights, and environmental concern gets ignored.

I read in the late 1800’s railway companies in the US did not adopt auto coupling cars and air brakes because if a brakeman died, all they had to do is put them in a box, and they could be hired for $1.50 an hour. Before that in order to couple cars a man had to go between them while the cars are moving in order to link them, and to brake a train they had to manually go between various cars and manually crank the brake. Needless to say any mishap would cause severe injury or death. When better technologies became available where cars could be automatically coupled/decoupled like today, railway companies refused to adopt them because it was cheaper to hire/replace men who died in accidents than invest in safer technologies.

It’s a fair point. Just 100 years ago animal welfare was a complete non-issue in most Western nations. 500 years ago, animal (and human) life was cheaper than dirt. There’s still a massive double standard in the way Westerners talk publicly about animal welfare, while accepting or supporting industrial meat farming on the basis that, well, you know, we have to have cheap meat, don’t we?

What goes on in American slaughterhouses is every bit as bad as what happens in Chinese fur farms and suchlike. I think what gets westerners riled is public callousness. We, at least, have the decency to be hypocritical about it and keep our cruelty behind closed doors, instead of out on the street; and of course China’s assertion that it has ‘arrived’. Well, it has … in the 19th century.

Ah the old you did it first but we can do it too argument. That makes so much sense. Even though our leaders were educated overseas and have modern science and knowledge at their fingertips.

Lol.

Besides that, it’s my impression animals like dogs have generally been treated better in the west or other societies. Dogs in cages is a big thing here, and Im not aware of it being common ever in the West. Sure they had dancing bear but it would take the Chinese to invent tubes and cages to extract bile from living bears on a large scale.

The dogs in cages thing may also be a fairly recent growing phenomenon (from what I’ve heard) and it has nothing to do with industrial development at all in my opinion.

Other types of factory farming…yeah if imagine its bad all round.

I find it very sad the ignorance in Taiwan.
You see so many women with fur trims on their jackets or coats, and I would hedge a bet they would be the first to take a photo of a cute animal that would be skinned alive in a Chinese fur farm.
Only last week I informed a woman working in a pet shop that the fur on her jacket may have once belonged to someone’s stolen pet. She was surprised and said she would throw the jacket away.

An investigation last year which this shocking video covers, found many animals with collars were skinned alive.
Graphic images in this report:
express.co.uk/news/world/381 … -fur-farms

Warning - the video starts with what looks like someone’s pet dog:
youtube.com/watch?v=V4fjAxT2lLw

I think the only things we can do is educate people, boycott companies that use fur (like DKNY or Fendi) and hope China becomes civilized. That said, the US skins 25 million animals each year and are the world’s second largest importer of shark fins!

We were in a department store the other day where the ball’n’chain wanted to buy some gloves. I asked her not to buy at this shop because the fur looked real. So she asked the staff about it. They confirmed it was real, but they just shrugged and said, well, what you gonna do? The boss wants to sell it and we’re just doing our job. I hate hearing talk like that. It’s like watching a slave kowtow to his master.

Anyway, fur farming is the thin end of the wedge. Animal cruelty is endemic and legal in every country on earth. No doubt American meat farms aren’t quite as bad as rural Chinese fur farms, but they’re not that far off. Try reading some of the accounts of slaughterhouse workers. As I’m sure you know, it’s now effectively illegal to document what happens in slaughterhouses. But the point is, it’s just not the Chinese; it’s a global disgrace.