What the Future Might Look Like

I haven’t even let myself look at the cost of Johns Hopkins, but I’m sure it’s crazy expensive. For this dream to come true, he has to get those scholarships. He will. He still has his SR year left. I’ve just been trying to figure out where to spend that year. Looks like I can’t return now, anyway, unless I find a teaching job there for next year, and this is probably to late for that in a good school. I called the Houston TECO office and was told that they aren’t issuing any kind of visas now, only special entry permits, and usually only to family members. Because my son is almost 18, they said they wouldn’t issue me an entry permit as his parent, as once his birthday comes, it would not be valid. Even if I get a job, the permit is not sure, and unlikely because I’m and American coming from America. So, I guess maybe we’ll look at this again next year and we can settle the uni question first.

Take care of that Beautiful Island for me, guys. I do miss it so.

1 Like

Wow. That’s first year n00b salary in Albany, NY. :astonished:

1 Like

Right. AR is one is one of the bottom three for teacher salaries (or used to be, been a while since I checked). Just have to cross the Mississippi river and instantly make $10,000 more per year. But my first year teaching on license, I was paid 31,500. So I guess I’m getting a little closer to middle class. And with inflation, maybe I make less, actually. I could make more managing a Waffle House (I know, because my son proved it to me when he was in grade nine arguing that he didn’t need to go to uni because he loved Waffle House and wanted to work there for the employee discount! Thankfully he outgrew that ambition, but his point still stings.)

You should contact teachtaiwan. They’re hiring licenced teachers for public schools. Because the pay is a bit lower than private schools, they are always looking. I’ve heard that if you get hired they can get you a work permit before you come and you’ll be allowed in now… But you’d better ask them for sure. There are a lot of postings now…I suggest you take a look quickly if you’re interested.

Not sure where you’d like to live… But here’s the link to taichung. They have just posted 15 positions. Other cities have their own pages

Hi, Y’all. Just having a moment, thinking of stuff. Boy! This world is turning so fast I’m dizzy.

Well, the Kitten didn’t get into Johns Hopkins. In spite of his grades and test scores, and in spite of being told by many bitter classmates and counselors that he’d get scholarships and into Johns Hopkins just because he’s Asian, he did not. In fact, it’s because he’s Asian and there’s a backlash against too many Asians in elite schools; they’d met their quota. No kidding.

Then I was was diagnosed, about two weeks before he graduated, with cancer. He graduated, turned 18, and became a man all in about a week. And he just turned 19 last month. It’s been a hell of a year.

This ManKitten earned a full ride at my alma mater, started as a sophomore because he’d earned enough college credit in high school, and made the dean’s list his first semester. This is in spite of all that happened last year, and also working full time to care for us.

I only finished my last school year because it was late May when I had my surgery, so the year was almost out. I can’t work now and I’m on disability.

Because I couldn’t work, I could no longer pay rent, so I moved us into my beautiful best friend’s dinning room until we could work out our own housing again. He was sleeping on their living room sofa. They’re a family of five with the mother-in-law in residence, many pets plus our two, and us. It was a real circus.

And I was undergoing radiation treatments at the time, and half way through chemo.

He pays the rent and bills. I cover the car, phone, and internet expenses (auto insurance for a teen male is CRAZY). We share food expenses.

He has held me while I cried from sheer pain. Shaved my head as I wept when the chemo took my hair. He has cleaned after me when the chemo and radiation caused me to be ill. He as learned to cook (kinda) to help me eat after surgery when I couldn’t even walk, and brought me expensive treats when the medicine and treatments took away my apatite to tempt me into getting some nutrients.

And he has moved everything we own, alone, several times now. Has cleaned the house. Has run every errand. After surgery, when I had to have daily injections for a couple weeks, he gave them to me because I hate needles and just couldn’t do it myself.

He’s acing chemistry and calculous, and “easy” classes, working as many hours as he can find, and is constantly exhausted. I beg him to go out with friends, take up a hobby (He wants to learn guitar and is a very talented bass singer). He tells me that I’m his happy thing, the most important person in his life, and he’s protecting me, and that’s all he wants to do now.

He’s currently applying for summer internships, and I really want that for him. It will mean I’m alone while he’s gone, but he needs the break so much and it would really do him good to NOT have to care for me, at least physically, for a while.

As for me, my body is exhausted. It does not function as it did before and doesn’t look the same. I’m going through a lot, I guess, and I don’t want to go into it too much here. I can mover about this house. I can do simple cooking, sometimes, but not always. I can do laundry, but it takes hours. I can’t visit Taiwan now, or really anywhere because of my suppressed immune system, but I’m thrice vaxxed. I’ll start physical therapy soon and am getting stronger, but very slowly.

In a million years I could not have guessed how this would work out. Just thought I’d try to update because everything in the world is so different than I imagined. Urodacus’ photo up there could be of Ukraine today.

And I want to tell the entire world how proud I am of my kid. His entire life, time after time, he has exceeded my highest expectations. I respect the man he has so swiftly become, and I genuinely like and admire the person he is and has always been.

20 Likes

We wish you a speedy and full recovery.

4 Likes

What school is he attending?

One thing I’ve heard of in the last few years is “deferred enrollment”. It’s a conditional acceptance, where the student attends another institution for the first year or two.

He could always transfer to Johns Hopkins. My best friend’s dad is a tenured professor in their Psych department. I will see both June 20th, so if there’s a possible pathway there, I could help start the conversation.

2 Likes

That would be fabulous. Many thanks in advance! He’s attending Arkansas Tech University, in AR, where I earned my BA.

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve done an amazing job raising your son. Hope you get better soon!

3 Likes

Didn’t expect to get something stuck in my eyes today. It sounds like you did a good job raising a man. Post-chemo does get better. Eat well and force yourself outside to get exercise. I’m 8 years remish and often forget it happened. Keep on truckin’, Cat.

8 Likes

Beautiful to hear this encouragement. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear you’re still doing well, despite all the challenges. Your son sounds like a really stand up guy and I can see you’re proud of him. Smart kid too from the sounds of things.

Hopefully when you are better you can head back to the rock for a break. Get well soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes.