What tips can you suggest to new expats?

Especially don’t be a Jane that walks like Tarzan and smells like Cheetah

2 Likes

If you have a mole on your face, let hair grow from it. You will assimilate quicker.

7 Likes

Ya ,because the salt blocks pores too. The beach expats have a certain kind of agression that seems only plausible with heat related brain damage :melting_face: :hugs:

5 Likes

Taiwan is nowhere near Thailand, in any fashion, way, shape or form.

And I still meet new arrivals who think it is.

7 Likes

What do you mean? Thailand is a differen place.

Stay far, far away from any political threads on Forumosa. Your life will be much happier here.

6 Likes

I disagree, there are many similarities. Unfortunately, not the good things

3 Likes

Like what?

This would be an interesting thought experiment: create a hybrid “Thaiwan” that somehow manages to bring together the worst aspects of both nations!

I’ll start with two: constant thread of a hostile take-over by China (Taiwan’s contribution), mixed together with habitual military coups (Thailand’s contribution).

What else is on your list? :grin:

Guy

3 Likes

Lese-majeste, laws forbidding speaking ill of royalty (Thai) combined with laws against insulting/losing face in public (Taiwan).

7 Likes

And also look both ways before crossing any sidewalk /footpath.

Don’t drink taiwan beer classic. I can tell someone is green when they’re drinking classic. If you’re gonna drink taiwan beer just spend the extra 3 nt my guy.

5 Likes

People’s Republic of China, is already a pretty good contender

2 Likes

How old are you? Are you single, have kids? Are you English teacher or spending your trust fund? Do you do sports or play computer games whole day? Need to give us your profile so you can get appropriate advice.

Damn I have thought Thailand’s political system has issues, but I never thought of it as “communist.” :neutral_face:

Guy

Similarities include the driving culture, for example

Architecture and city layout, pretty close

Obsession with luxury goods and status

Rotating door of English teachers that never seem to improve the countries’ English, because they are undervalued and under qualified

Education system that general values rote and obedience

These are some of the negative similarities. Positive similarities include a decent national health care system (Taiwans is probably better, I’m not sure, but similar compared to say Cambodia ir the US)

I’d like to be somewhere that combines the positive differences. Taiwan has a better economy and higher salaries, Thailand has better food and friendlier people.

9 Likes

OK here’s another.

A longterm Muslim insugency in the south (Thailand’s contribution) mixed together with the culinary habit of dumping pork and pork fat everywhere (Taiwan’s contribution). What a combo! :grin:

Guy

…and pick your nose in public. Make sure to do it with that extra long long pinky fingernail and the be sure to examine closely that which you have dug out of your nostrils. Then flick and repeat.

2 Likes

If you invite a girl to a restaurant and tell her she can bring her family or friends, make sure you pay for everyone.

10 Likes

Taipei Thailand

Thaipei Republic of Thaiwan? We don’t want the playboy thai king

Hey who sounds sexier ? A pretty Taipei girl speaking mandarin or a
Pretty ktown girl
Speaking Taiwanese
Or a pretty Thai girl speaking Thai
Or a pretty Malaysian girl
Speaking Malay or a phillipina speaking Tagalog
Japanese girl speaking Japanese or

1 Like