What tips can you suggest to new expats?

What tips can you suggest to expats who start to live in Taiwan?

Where are you from?

This is a good blog on the basics. I use it quite a bit.

3 Likes

Eat some binglang

2 Likes

This may be the most general query / topic I have seen in a while . . . :thinking:

So one tip I would give is: be more specific when starting threads on forumosa!

Guy

11 Likes

When your knowledge is zero you don’t know what questions to ask.

My advice would be for better a to have more empathy rather than try and hate keep to see people suffer.

1 Like

If a girl writes you a letter indicating that she likes you, go for it.

17 Likes

I can get behind that. :grin:

Guy

2 Likes

Bank tellers here love Ikea meatballs :star_struck:

6 Likes

Ditch sunscreen, learn about textiles. more for the pinker pigmented expats.

3 Likes

Look left then right before crossing the street…
Then, if you are at a crossroad, look left again for incoming vehicles turning left from the other side (they will cut the normal flow) while also looking behind you for vehicles turning right on the same side you are.
Even if the light is green for you.

11 Likes

Don’t forget they also enjoy sitting in various IKEA living room arrangements. Locals say this activity is one of the quickest routes to 1st base you can take in this part of the world.

:wink:

Per the topic: Try to get your chinese food-word knowledge up to a decent level so you can more easily eat at the local places. You will save so much money, and be much healthier as well. Well… at least you will now have more of an opportunity to make healthy choices. I definitely am not vouching for the nutrition in a 卡拉雞 (ka-la-ji) sandwich, but finding a breakfast place that has a good one is highly recommended.

@eatdrinktravellife are you trying to do a youtube channel or something?

5 Likes

That seems like the kind of thing best to split with the family!

2 Likes

Don’t look like Tarzan, walk like Jane or smell like Cheetah.

2 Likes

Apply for a credit card immediately at the first bank you see when you get off the bus or train at your new city. You’ll get better service.

1 Like

You mean taiwanese sun screen huh?

No, i meant any sunscreen that clogs pores and causes heat exhaustion/stroke in our thick polluted and humid tropical heat :slight_smile: tried many a brand from abroad, as well a local brands. The locals are right, textiles.

1 Like

Ikr, only foreigners buy sunscreens.

It’s sarcasm btw.

1 Like

Yup . It was probably psychological stubbornness on my part. But i have to admit, over the years, that heat stroke alone is far better than heat stroke + sun stroke.

I see you guys don’t visit the beach very often :joy:

1 Like