What to bring to a chinese new year's party?!

one would think i’d know the answer to this since I’ve been living in Taiwan for almost 5 years, but when I got an email from my darling Grandma in Canada about what to bring to a Chinese New Year’s party I find myself at a loss…

She asked me what would be a good gift to give the hostess… apparently an upper class family… and I really haven’t the foggiest of what is customary to give during this holiday aside from a red envelope!

Advice to pass on to my Grandma would be great!
thanks! :slight_smile:

[quote=“bushibanned”]one would think I’d know the answer to this since I’ve been living in Taiwan for almost 5 years, but when I got an email from my darling Grandma in Canada about what to bring to a Chinese New Year’s party I find myself at a loss…

She asked me what would be a good gift to give the hostess… apparently an upper class family… and I really haven’t the foggiest of what is customary to give during this holiday aside from a red envelope!

Advice to pass on to my Grandma would be great!
thanks! :slight_smile:[/quote]

Well, if it was in Taiwan, I’d say she should bring her liver.

How about some nice expensive exotic fruit?

i’m not sure about the availability of exotic fruit at this time of the year in canada…

what would be a standard gift? oranges? any kind of fruit basket? I would say bring one of those orange trees but i also question their availability in canada.

I can’t beleive i’m so stuck for ideas! :s

Anything that’s expensive and if they’ve kids bring a few red envelopes with some new cash inside … few hundred each will do … yeah baby this is that time of year again, spend, spend, spend … I hate it …

Good advice. The (expensive) gift doesn’t really matter too much, as long as some thought goes into buying it. Afterall, it’s the thought (and price… :slight_smile: ) that counts, right?

If she goes to the local asian market, she can buy some overpriced inported fruits. I think arranging these into a basket would been seen as very thoughtful.
When getting something for someone richer than you, I think you should always do something that is more thoughtful than generous.

A bottle of Hennesy XO or VSOP cognac.

Sexy underpants (red is a good color for Chinese New Year):

Grateful Dead T shirt (this one’s a classic!)

Steeler cap / shirt:

Who wouldn’t be thrilled to receive one of these?

You can’t go wrong with anything that bears the Steelers logo!

really? is that a serious reply? if so, sounds good and I’ll pass that on. surely one can find those in a candian liquor store, na?

really? is that a serious reply? if so, sounds good and I’ll pass that on. surely one can find those in a candian liquor store, na?[/quote]

If this is a drinking afair, yes, I’d say that was a serious post. Good liquor is always appreciated. :slight_smile:

But I think there are better things than XO to bring. :raspberry: (NO offense TC. I’d drink whatever you got.

Ask Sandman. He knows his drink. :slight_smile:

peace

:rainbow:

SUNTORY, just like in the TV commercial…baring that, huge Japanese mutant apples.

A puke bucket. The food isn’t very good. Traditional Chinese food.

You’re nuts. That shit is delish!

You’re nuts. That shit is delish![/quote]

You think so? I find it kind of gross. The pork looks like jello and is equally squishy when eating it. All the other stuff is too fishy tasting and the shell fish is that typical fried type that’s just too much of a task to eat.

Not great.

bring some fine belgian chocolates,

or expensive liquour

or cigars.

something to satisfy whatever their vises may be.

jm