What to do about Health Insurance during 6-month NHI waiting period?

I’m wondering whether there might be some subtleties here based on the status of the parents? I get the impression from OP’s first post that the parents are Taiwanese nationals who have been abroad for a long time but previously had household registration. Does the six-month waiting period definitely apply here too?

I can’t be bothered spending loads of time reading through NHI regulations at the moment, but maybe Article 8 of the National Health Insurance Act and this previous thread (there are probably more threads too) might be relevant?

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=L0060001

I lived in Taiwan for a few years before getting NHI (admittedly I wasn’t 80+ years old at the time), and I got the impression that local plans providing comprehensive health insurance as an alternative to NHI (as opposed to supplementary plans offering additional benefits) aren’t that common.

I don’t remember reading of any anyway, and I did look into it a couple of times. I guess there’s not that much of a market for plans like that. There are international health insurance plans of course, like @jimbob132 mentioned, as well as travel insurance plans that might cover some emergency stuff, but I can’t imagine they’d be cheap for octogenarians (possibly also more expensive when applying from the U.S.?).

1 Like