What to do if spouse is missing for years?

Yeah, no worries about the chop. I even told her that she can keep it because I am going to change my name immediately after. Lightened the mood and we got into a conversation about how ridiculous my name is in Chinese.

Probably because in teh same way Taiwan has no jurisdiction over USA `proceedings, the same is true for USA proceedings in Taiwan.

For example, it is very difficult to enforce custody here. There are many cases wher ethe parents divorced, and teh US parent was given custody. Taiwan parent grants kid and runs to taiwan… and it takes an Act of God to get the kid back… if they find him/her.

That is why it is important to get the divorce here, now, on Taiwan soil. It is a Taiwan issue. But the only way to solve it is here. Now.

1 Like

There’s no doubt that I can get a divorce in the US, it’s just a matter of getting my wife’s family to realize this. If I had some concrete source in mandarin saying this could happen like for example an article talking about people divorcing their overseas uncooperative spouses in USA, that would be awesome. I didn’t see anything in the articles posted but I could be mistaking. I apologize if I missed something.

You need an article that saying for the divorce in USA, the place you got married isn’t a matter?

Again, do not wonder about the ifs. Leave that to the local lawyer.

Do not contact the family anymore. Let that part to the lawyer.

Do not propose settlements. That is the lawyer´s job. Their lawyer. Not even yours.

Look, people here sue each other for a broken light. It is not a biggie. The summons is not asking for anything unreasonable.

Do not work yourself up and tire yourself before the battle. You have as we say in Spanish not a petate to fall dead on, what are they going to fight about?

Told you about the child issue. And also told you about the legal conseuqences… for them. First of all, all parents here have the right to DNA. That would be automatic divorce. It is very strict here. You know that in Taiwan if a couple´s kid is born out of wedlock/within 6 months of marriage, the parents must present DNa or else no ID. Has happened to at least 3 foreign couples I know. So if she tries to put it under your tab… it backfires. Yes, it will be automatically under your name, poor thing, but you can contest that very easily… and DNA tests take what, two weeks tops. Let them try. Bring it on.

See why I say you have it covered if you know the law?

Look I understand thsi is scary. I know you are alone. Or at least you think so. You are actually sitting in teh catbird seat right now. Do not lose your cool.

4 Likes

Pretty much. Want to show them that just because we married in Taiwan, doesn’t mean I can’t go back to the US and get divorced. I already know for certain that I can get a divorce in the US. Whether or not it is accepted by Taiwan’s court is uncertain but it would definitely be valid in the US and as long as I never returned to Taiwan, I could go on with my life.

Thing is; legal aid is only funding me to go to court. So the lawyer wants to see me go to court. Which takes months and that is not what I want if it can be avoided. I’d prefer to get a peaceful settlement before the bloodshed if possible. Unfortunately legal aid isn’t funding that so my lawyer can’t help me to write it.

No. Do not mention this. If you do, they willcall your bluff. And as I said a divorce in teh US will take years, time, and might not be valid. She will not be there to defend herself and teh laws are different. Do some real research on this. This is not yoir winning card.

Kill this issue now, here and now. Walk the wal. Follow the procedures. Do not say anything to teh family unless it is approved by your lawyer. Do not apologize. It is not your fault or anything. Your feeling guilty for telling yor wife to go when the marriage was dead dead is not very logical. Move on. They locked you out and left you out cold with no guide here. I say it is equal, no debts, no apologies.

3 Likes

Did the lawyer said it would take months? Or it could take months?

The family has not even received the summons… Take it one step at a time.

2 Likes

She explained to me that the courts are very busy and it would take 8 months to a year to get a court date.

Got an update from my lawyer. She will share with me the draft of the complaint to the court this week.

In this case, they got married in China, and got divorced in USA.

1 Like

Bingo! Thank you. Tempting to send it…it really is.

But, don’t forget to consult to any lawyer.

2 Likes

Doing that right now. Thank you.

Waiting to hear back from the lawyer. If she says she thinks it’s a bad idea, I’ll back off but I really wish I could get them to reason and peacefully get out of this.

Wow that was really fast. They sent me the draft for the court…it’s in Chinese though. Trying my best to look it over.

Hmm, celebrate, cash in the insurance if you can and party?

My lawyer gave me some story about how the articles are about China and not Taiwan. I decided not to talk any further about that to her but I know she is aware that I can do this. Anyways, she sent out the report to the court and things are going to get moving hopefully.

One thing of concern is the report says my current address. Would my wife be able to see this report and my address? I have good reason to not want them to know where I live (past break in) so this worries me.
Edit: actually only the first page says our addresses. I guess maybe that is for the court only.