What to do if you see animal abuse (new contact details)

[quote=“suiyuan31”]I have to admit I often feel overwhelmed by the amount of abuse I see here.
Last week, I was out having a smoke on my balcony and I hear this guy yelling at his dog to come, over and over. I dip my head over and see that the dog is not leashed, and it’s a schnauzer…probably the worst breed I can think of not to leash, lol. So I’m watching this idiot trying to get his dog to stay with him as he walks, the dog finally comes to him and what does he do? He wacks it on the ass with a switch. Now I’m just pissed :fume:

So forget for a second that hitting a dog is abusive…how fucking dumb is this guy? He’s trying to teach the dog to come to him by hitting him? And he wonders why the dog won’t come to him? And this is how he is trying to train his dog to be leashless?

So the dog comes back a second time, the guy tells him to sit, then he raises the switch, at which point I scream HEY loud enough that it echoes (I’m sure the entire block heard me). I called him an idiot, then offered to come down and beat him with a stick (all in Chinese of course). The guy disappears fast enough so he doesn’t get beaten by the crazy foreigner, and his poor wife follows along.

I probably didn’t handle the situation well. I can’t imagine that I made that poor little dog’s life easier. He probably got home and smacked it around some more, or took it out on his wife or whatever. But in that kind of situation, I had nothing to report. I didn’t have time to take a picture, nor did I really have a way to know where this guy lived without following him.

I’m just glad there were six floors of separation between us, otherwise, I probably would have taken his stick, smacked him a few times and then screamed “guo lai, guo lai”…and I probably would be facing deportation, lol.

What is the best thing to do in such a situation? I really have no idea. For me, quietly going down and following him or trying to take a picture wouldn’t work because I, admittedly, have a temper…especially when it comes to this sort of thing.[/quote]
you should of told him to reward his dog for correct behaviour. He probably beat the hell out of that dog when he got it home. Not a good move on your part.
He is ignorant and needs education. However, I have done the same thing or similar before as you did but yeah wrong response on your part and very wrong and idiotic behaviour on his. I have learned to better control myself here and try to get the message across or at least get them to think about it.

I often see dogs being kept in tiny cages or boxes day and night. I’m just not sure how to best document such abuse? Do any of you have examples of what photos/videos you have taken to document animal abuse? Especially of cases where animals are being kept in tiny cages/boxes?

I got one particular case that I’d like to report. This dog must have been kept in a tiny box for a couple of years. Never seen it outside the box.

OKay thanks to this board a horse has just been saved from a horrible life in Kaoshung county. A Taiwanese student friend of mine took a picture of a horse that was chained up night and day on a tiny chain so it could not even move around. It was very neglected. My friend was in despair as she had no idea what she could do or who she could call to help the horse. I gave her the animal protection website as posted on this thread. The people in charge of the animal protection website then gave her another number for south Taiwan 072237213. Within three days the owner had been fined 30 000NT$.
The aunthorities are now also going to keep a close eye on the horse and make sure he (the owner) keeps to his pledge of treating it more humanely in the future.
So happy new year to the horse. It took just one phone call some good photographs and three days to give that horse a better life. This was a great new years present for me as I love horses.

Good for you! :bravo:

You wouldn’t believe the pioneer days then son. Herding dens of street dogs with nunchacku, betting on fights, and tailing road side stand vendors as they bait their prey to slaughterhouse.

I definitely think calling the phone numbers posted by Stray Dog is the way to go. Unfortunately, yelling at these people is not the answer and could get you hurt or even killed. As satisfying as it may seem to yell-at or put your knuckle sandwich on the chops of an animal abuser, you in turn would be an abuser as well. This is a worldwide problem. Even in developed countries the abuse still goes on, ahem Michael Vick.

If you see something that is [color=#FF4000]immediate[/color], use your cell phone or other to record the incident [color=#FF4000]then[/color] contact the authorities. The video must be clear as the abuser can deny the image. Don’t try to follow the abuser as it may lead to a confrontation. If you do follow them try not to be obvious. If you are confronted keep your camera rolling. You need evidence if anything occurs. Also look around where the abuse took place. They may have video cameras there. Record the license plate on their vehicle as to make it easier for authorities to locate the individual.

Today as I was walking to the 24hr Mcdonalds I saw a dog running across the middle of the road. Before I could even think of what to do a car hit him (at about ~60km/h?) There was a terrible thud and the dog ran back across the road screaming/yelping. He ran back into a nearby shop and the owners of the dog began mopping up the blood while the dog was shaking with trauma. There were some shop owners about 3 doors down who were laughing and clapping at the dog and trying to get him to come over like he was OK.

My Chinese isn’t very good but I tried to tell them that there is an animal hospital a little bit down the road and it might be open still, but they just ignored me. Is there anything I can do? I’m pretty sure the dog will be dying a pretty slow, horrible death right now.

Sure-fire way to have your holiday ruined, isn’t it? I dunno. Go back and offer to pay for treatment yourself and shame them into action? Breaks your heart, eh?

Nice! Thank you and your friend!

Video evidence applies to people as well right? What I mean is if I inadvertently beat the crap out of some a-hole who abuses his dog and there is no video evidence of me laying a finger on him, then I’m in the clear. Right? lol

It’s like that saying, if a tree falls in a forest and there is no one there to hear it, does it still make a sound?

Some people are just unbelievable. Luckily I haven’t seen such abuse other than what’s been reported on TV, but I think I would completely lose it.

No as there is DNA evidence and his word against yours. There may also be witnesses. He may also just pay some people to break your legs or worse. As a foreigner you are easy to spot. You may be a UFC winner it doesn’t matter if you are identifiable they will get you. There is little defense against being run over by a blue truck. Don’t resort to violence in another country unless in self defense. You may of course restrain the man with what is considered reasonable force to prevent him from harming the animal. Taiwan prison is not a nice place at all so don’t risk it. I do not however do as I preach

I was only joking. I have much more self restraint that I made myself out to be. I wouldn’t be happy if I had seen it though. I just hope I don’t ever come across a situation like this. But it’s good to know who to report to if I do.

You now have an SPCA in Taiwan, specifically set up to investigate animal cruelty. Use it.

spca.org.tw/contact-us-32879 … 24335.html

That is so good that some areas have these services here! I must say Taiwan is one of the worst places as far as animal cruelty goes i have ever been. I like Taipei for reasons like this, there is more crackdown on idiotic behaviour. IN the country side i could find you 1000 abused dogs any day of the week, and probably a bunch of birds, turtles etc. I particularly hate the caged dog thing that is VERY common here. In some areas its almost every other house has some caged dog, and if not a dog some form of bird.

It makes me so happy to see there are peopel that care and try to change these things. Much respect!

But i feel the warnings about engaging people here are very very well said. Taiwanese are nice people, but there are a number of hot heads and people do get smashed and murdered over some heated argument that could of turned out differently. Stay safe, your safety before the poor animals, as harsh as that sounds.

Hi,

Do you guys know any organization I could call for animal rescue in Taichung/Changhua area?

I know Tuapa is working here, but I mailed them yesterday, so far no response. I need something I could use for emergencies.

I thought I have one, but gladly not. Last two days while going back from work (I work in a total middle of nowhere in Changhua county, but live in Taichung) I saw a big dog tied with a rope to a tree. He was beautiful but I could see the skin problems, like lots of big furry dogs gets here. The tree was next to a rice fields, in that area there is some fruit market, but generally middle of nowhere. I was so worried all evening that the dog was lost there forever not just for a while, and was planning what should I do if it would still be there in the morning. And seriously - I had no idea!
I drive a scooter, so not sure if I could take it to anywhere… even if, then to where? I have a cat and apartment building where neighbors can say “no dogs” if the dog as much as barks once. :bluemad: So even if I could take the dog somewhere - where?
Or who should I come to pick him up? I hear Taiwanese dog shelters are not so good in here…

any suggestion? I want to be ready for such situation.

Agnes

Try sending a PM to douglas@taichungpaws.org (that’s his username).

Thanks for wanting to help this dog. And good luck!

Thanks, I will try. Seems like the things are more organized there in Taipei. Taichung I know have some organizations too. I wonder about Changhua, this is more of a countryside, and usually it’s get worse in places like that.
Sigh :ponder:

[quote=“Pingdong”]That is so good that some areas have these services here! I must say Taiwan is one of the worst places as far as animal cruelty goes I have ever been. I like Taipei for reasons like this, there is more crackdown on idiotic behaviour. IN the country side i could find you 1000 abused dogs any day of the week, and probably a bunch of birds, turtles etc. I particularly hate the caged dog thing that is VERY common here. In some areas its almost every other house has some caged dog, and if not a dog some form of bird.

It makes me so happy to see there are peopel that care and try to change these things. Much respect!

But i feel the warnings about engaging people here are very very well said. Taiwanese are nice people, but there are a number of hot heads and people do get smashed and murdered over some heated argument that could of turned out differently. Stay safe, your safety before the poor animals, as harsh as that sounds.[/quote]

I have heard some scary stories abotu things like that here but it’s nothing like in the U.S.

There’s an old post at the beginning of this thread that provides some contact information. Is it current?

At Yongfeng Rd. No. 262 there is a factory. Not just any factory, but one that instead of using a proper gate or guard uses an emotionally tortured black dog to bear its teeth and bark incessantly at anything that moves. It is kept in a small wooden box that allows just its head to protrude through a small hole.

As I passed a new Lexus was leaving the facility …

What’s the legal recourse for dealing with this?