What to do if you see animal abuse (new contact details)

I think I’ll be doing this shortly… by my gf’s house, there’s always a dog on a short chain outside of a nearby building. The dog is always there no matter if it’s the day or night and even during rain (albeit, not heavy rain, but still).

Glad I came across this thread so I know where to start.

Animal abusing is a widespread phenomena in Taiwan. One of my customers in central Taiwan told me her neighbor raise dog because he wants to abuse them. He will starve them or beat them. I live in North, but still the situation isn’t better enough.

I have a diabetes dog, who needs some exercise everyday. An old lady in the neighborhood yell at me today because my dog “standing rest” on the street which happen to be in front of her house. She said she knows my dog is sick, but my sick dog doesn’t make her feel good. I was so furious, and start shouting back, then her son and husband came out shouting at me… saying I don’t respect her.

This country is a humiliation.

If you’re aware of such heinous animal abuse, why don’t you report it?

First, I learnt that animal abuse 2 days ago, and I didn’t know till now there is a way to report them. So my friend and I were plotting to rescue the dogs. I will be the one to beat up the owner.

I found a puppy not larger than the size of a shoe stuffed and tied in several bags and left to hang out on a scooter on WenChang street near XinYi road (there’s a dead pig lying on a cart there every morning). When I took the puppy out it was shivering horribly and looked in terrible condition from being left bagged up hanging out in the rain. I found the lady who lives in the house where the scooter is parked and asked her if it was hers and she said no and asked me if I wanted it. I said no and didn’t take the puppy but I feel like maybe I should have. I’ve reported this case to the contact listed in this thread. Is there anything that can be done for the puppy? I’m afraid it’s going to get bagged up again!

Not too long ago in a local FB cycling group, there was a post about how a cyclist saw an old lady on a scooter abandoning a little dog and got it all on video.

The video shows, her speeding off and the dog ran after her. The cyclist (probably doing 30-40kph while holding a phone recorded the whole thing. After she noticed that she was being recorded, she stopped and let the dog back onto the scooter and sped off. However, not fast enough, the cyclist sprinted up to her on his bike and recorded him asking her if she just abandoned a dog on the side of the road. She kept denying, but it was so clear that she did not intend to pick the dog back up, but only did so when she saw at the corner of her eye that someone was recording her.

It’s people like this…

The post got thousands of likes and shares and everyone praised the cyclist and also was considered a beast for riding so fast and still being able to have a steady hand to record.

There is this man in my neighborhood, an older guy, who walks his dog, a black mid-sized dog, around the block for a walk each day. So far so good. He has a 50cm long stick in his hand… The dog is very scared and walks behind the man, slightly limping. It’s a sad scene if you care for dogs. No sniffing around, no pee-ing at bushes. The dog is scared, a lot.

Now, I don’t want to jump to conclusions, but based on what I see, that man does not seem to be nice to that dog.

I will keep an eye on that man, hoping the dog has a better life than it seems.

1 Like

What’s a number that’s still good

if you see any pet abuse around you then you should react accordingly to stop that person.

I recently moved within Taipei and have only been at my current location for about a week, but there is a cat next door that is often meowing at their door with a weak and scratchy voice for decent periods of time. I probably hear it for a bit of every 1-2 hours that I’m awake here. Does this seem like enough to call someone about?

I know indoor cats can often whine to get out, and I can be a bit of a softy for cats that do that, but it also seems like more than average

I guess it’s OK, it could be for many reasons

Wonder if a dog unsecured on a platform on the back of a motorcycle counts. He may not be presently injured, but even an unexpected bump in the road could send him flying.