What visa before I come?

I’m currently teaching Engilsh in Bangkok. I plan to make the move to Taiwan within the next few months. I’ve been applying for jobs, and most of the employers are advising me to come on a tourist visa and change it over once I’m in Taiwan.

I really don’t want to do this, as I’d prefer to have a working visa when I arrive. I plan to begin working as soon as I arrive, so shouldn’t I already have the visa?

If I’ve already been hired by a company, wouldn’t it make more sense for me to get the proper working visa from the Taiwanese Embassy in Bangkok?

I don’t want to do anything illegal and would like to sort out my paperwork before I arrive. Any advice on the matter will be greatly appreciated.

[quote=“barfomcgee”]I’m currently teaching Engilsh in Bangkok. I plan to make the move to Taiwan within the next few months. I’ve been applying for jobs, and most of the employers are advising me to come on a tourist visa and change it over once I’m in Taiwan.

I really don’t want to do this, as I’d prefer to have a working visa when I arrive. I plan to begin working as soon as I arrive, so shouldn’t I already have the visa?

If I’ve already been hired by a company, wouldn’t it make more sense for me to get the proper working visa from the Taiwanese Embassy in Bangkok?

I don’t want to do anything illegal and would like to sort out my paperwork before I arrive. Any advice on the matter will be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Dude I don’t want to rain on your parade, but yes you should have the Visa before you come. If you come on a tourist visa and then get a job you will have to leave the country again to switch it over to the work Visa. Every employer knows this.

You don’t want to break the law? no worries your boss will do it for you in your name and then blame you for it when you get caught.

Why would you want to come here to teach when you are already teaching in the place all Taiwan’s teachers escape to when they can no longer stand this God forsaken place?

[quote=“barfomcgee”]I’m currently teaching Engilsh in Bangkok. I plan to make the move to Taiwan within the next few months. I’ve been applying for jobs, and most of the employers are advising me to come on a tourist visa and change it over once I’m in Taiwan.

I don’t want to do anything illegal and would like to sort out my paperwork before I arrive. Any advice on the matter will be greatly appreciated.[/quote]In theory it’s possible to get the work visa sorted out from abroad. I think it requires extra paperwork though, and I guess most employers don’t want the hassle. The other way you could do it and stay legal is to come here on a tourist visa, then take the opportunity to check out prospective employers and schools in person before switching to a work visa and commencing work (by the way, despite what Shifty said, I don’t think it’s always necessary to do a visa run to get a work visa. IIRC, a couple of people recently posted that they’ve been able to do it all from here).

However, bear in mind that many employers will still expect you to start work before your permit/ARC come through, and as Shifty says, they will most likely blame you if caught. Whether they blame you or not, it’s probable that you would be deported if caught working illegally, and not permitted to come back for five years. Many people work illegally for a month or two in this situation, but it’s their choice and their responsibility.

Shifty, Joe -
You guys need to work on this “Welcome Wagon” concept thing you got going…:smiley:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Shifty, Joe -
You guys need to work on this “Welcome Wagon” concept thing you got going…:smiley:[/quote]

Yea, opps I did not mean to scare him but just wanted to make sure he understood that coming on a tourist visa to then switch to a resident is by no means a simple affair. As Joe said he knows of some people who switched a tourist visa to a resident visa to accept work all in country. This is news to me, but Joe may have info or experiences I am not aware of.

I guess I just want the op to be prepared for the worst, just in case our local police or bureaucrats uncharacteristically fail to do their appointed duties to the best of their abilities.

:slight_smile:

No, it’s relatively simple. I did it recently last month. A bit annoying having to dish out NT4000 twice (and not counting health checks, ARC fee, etc.), but it gives you more options than trying to sign a contract with a school sight unseen.

12 years ago you had to leave to switch, but that hasn’t been required for quite some time now. In the last 3 years I’ve personally helped 5 people switch over to a resident visa, and all of them did it in country. If you have a job lined up and your school is at least marginally competent you can get it all done within 60 days. It’s not a big deal at all. Just make sure you get a 60-day visitor visa, because visa-free entry or a landing visa cannot be converted to a resident visa.

You should move to Tainan. More foreigners should move there.

Thanks for all the replies. Basically I was told that the Taiwanese Embassy in Bangkok wouldn’t issue me a working visa. They said I would need to return to the US to get it, as that’s where I’m from. Anyone heard about this?

I’m planning on working in Taichung, as my girlfriend attends university there and it’s pretty close to the mountains. Anyone know of a good job opening in Taichung? :slight_smile:

[quote=“barfomcgee” They said I would need to return to the US to get it, as that’s where I’m from. Anyone heard about this?)[/quote]

That is pretty much the answer for every question by Taiwanese bureaucrats. It is actually code for:
I don’t know/care or understand the new laws.

The most frustrating thing about dealing with the Gov is that you can literally get three different answers to the same question from three different people on the same day.

Joe has said that it can be done with a 60 day tourist Visa, he has good info most of the time so I tend to think he may be correct however the key to this working is the “competent school” aspect. Plan on fuck ups and be surprised when it works smoothly.

You said you have a GF she can provide some assistance in the process so you have a support network.

You should be fine.

Welcome aboard

Shifty

It’s not a problem changing a tourist visa into a resident/work visa. With 60 days that’s plenty of time. Even 30 days is quite doable if you have a school lined up before you arrive/find a school in the first week of arriving.

Don’t sweat it too much. It’s how almost every foreigner does it.