What wifi router do you use?

Somehow it’s so slow at home. Just 5 mbps for uploading. I use tp-link router.

Your router does very little to determine your Internet speeds unless it was malfunctioning. Only your service plan determines your Internet speeds.

What does your plan say?

1 Like

Let me guess… you made a rookie error of wanting fast speeds but bought into the crappy community internet plan advertising 300mbps speeds that was plastered on the noticeboard or in the elevator? (PS… that internet is SHARED between all the apartments in your complex… so once all the kids start playing and downloading… it’s literally game over! Also they will slow down and restrict upload speeds to increase the download speeds… So good luck uploading content!

If you want fast speeds it’s likely you will have to switch to Hinet or Taiwan Mobile. Hinet has fibre to the premises connections in most areas and Taiwan Mobile having it in limited areas but if you bundle with a cellphone plan Taiwan mobile is much cheaper so if you’re lucky… then get Taiwan Mobile. If not… Hinet is your best option, albeit more expensive.

I opted for the 990NTD a month 100/40 plan. It has been an absolute gem with stable speeds at all time and never slowed during peak times. Great for teaching online classes or uploading content.

4 Likes

The bandwidth and latency you ultimately experience during peak hours depends on the overall bandwidth your internet provider has available, PLUS the cost of your subscription. For example, let us take ISP A.

ISP A has two subscriptions, one at 50Mbps and one at 300Mbps. They work at good latency reliably during off-hours. Of course, they are limited to 50Mbps and 300Mbps respectively.

At peak times the programs may drop to this:
50Mbps => 10Mbps and 500ms latency
300Mbps => 50Mbps and 250ms latency

So ultimately if you pay for a more expensive connection you may see better results at peak hours, but you are never guaranteed a specific bandwidth or latency.

I find it absolutely ridiculous how ISPs advertise with the bandwidth that I will never need or expect, where they cannot even guarantee 20Mbps at usable latencies.

1 Like

A good home router/mesh network can make a big difference. I use the Google/Nest wifi router with three access points. It’s a huge improvement for coverage in my house.

I connected the main router via cat-5 to the ISP’s router, and then the 2 extension points closer to my home office in the corner of the building. I’m consistently getting 150 MBPS download/upload speeds with the Google setup.

When I just had the default router from the ISP about 25 feet away from my office, I would get 50 MBPS test results, but sometimes I would get very choppy results with my video conferences. Those days are over now.

ASUS high end models and Google Nest are both great options. I use Tp-Link mostly because I like cheaper and older models that can run OpenWRT. I only need Wifi4.

What do you mean? I have fibre to my apartment and get fast speeds with extremely low latency