What would accreditation for buxibans do for English teaching in Taiwan?

This topic came up in a discussion about ways to improve the English language teaching situation for all parties (students, parents, teachers, schools, etc.)
The idea was that if the government were to fund the development of a legitimate accreditation system for private foreign language teaching schools (namely buxiban, but could include a wider definition), this could then create a way to help more legitimate schools stand out for striving to offer quality education. In turn, parents and students would be reassured there money is being well spent and they are receiving decent language education. The school would be able to attract quality teachers, and the teachers would have confidence in teaching for a professional language school.

At the same time, the accreditation system doesn’t need to be mandatory, so businesses that feel they don’t need it, or simply can’t afford it would still be able to operate, but they would be offering a different type of service to a different type of customer.

Obviously, there would be a myriad of challenges to getting something like this going, both technically and culturally.
I’m sure this idea has been kicked around many a times before. Interested to hear others’ thoughts on this

1 Like

Great idea but the language school.business is highly corrupt

2 Likes

Sounds like just another layer of red tape that in the end is meaningless.

5 Likes

They already have systems like this. The British Council gives “accreditation” to centers of educational excellence. The MOE gives a big thumbs up to such places. They still put anyone with a pulse in front of a class.

IMO it’s buyer beware and the customers need to become more demanding. I’ve seen this happen in recent years.

1 Like

Yep. There would be hoops to jump through which all schools would eventually figure out and successfully complete

1 Like

When parents want more than a babysitter, they will seek out something more than a daycare. the education issue here is the supply is giving what the demand wants.

This is a great thought but, to a lot of people I know, this doesn’t fit the economic realities for their families. More accreditation + high priced foreigner = high costs for junior’s education. There are already many different types of caste systems in education and this would end up being just another one.

1 Like

Judging by how the MoE already accredits (or rather, regulates) other types of education, I can’t see their imprimatur as carrying any credibility.