What would happen if employer found out I had a part time job

Let’s say I work 14 hours per week but I want more but current job doesn’t have more. I get a other job with more hours on the side without a schedule conflict then main employer finds out could I get deported
You may ask why would main employer care
Maybe she wants to keep my Schedule open in case more hours open in the future

A 14h/w schedule is not full-time by most standards and certainly not by Taiwanese standards. (For buxibans, full-time would technically be 32h. In most jobs, it would be 40h.) The argument that you can’t have a second job for no other reason than because you owe loyalty to your first employer doesn’t work if the first job is not even half-time.

If the first employer wants you to have guaranteed availability during certain hours (i.e. standby), it should be specified in the contract, and you should receive some form of compensation. If there’s no compensation of any kind, it’s hard to argue that you’re actually obligated to be on standby during those hours.

ETA:

I should probably explain a bit more. Work is a right (Constitution Art. 15), and any limitation of that right must be reasonable in order to be enforceable. Long story short, a non-competition agreement is unenforceable unless it meets certain conditions, and these conditions are now codified in the Labor Standards Act (Art. 9-1, hilarious in the English version), but only for post-employment non-competition agreements for jobs that fall under the LSA. Even so, the principles behind this were recognized by the courts before the amendment to the LSA and would also be recognized for a non-competition agreement that applies during employment.

Therefore, if your contract limits your right to work during employment and can’t rely on the old “loyalty to the employer” line because the hours are so few, in principle that part of the contract cannot be enforced unless it’s reasonable i.e. provides you with a reasonable amount of compensation and so on – but how favorable the conditions need to be in order to be reasonable is an open question.

So, yes you can apply for another job, and your employer can’t (legally) punish you for it unless it has a legitimate reason to do so (i.e. an enforceable agreement that you should be on standby during those hours).

That said, you still need a second work permit before you can start your second job.

And as always, if in doubt, ask a professional. :slightly_smiling_face:

ETAA:

On the other hand, if you already work full-time, in theory you can only take on additional work if it doesn’t harm the work you already do. (I’ve seen this expressed in a 公文 but don’t recall where.)

For buxiban teachers, you can’t get a work permit beyond 32h/w, so the only solution then is to get open work rights (e.g. become a permanent resident).

4 Likes

Sorry, one more thing:

Iirc public school teachers are prohibited by law from having additional employment. @tando?

1 Like

it is prohibited without a special permission.

Anyone on a work based ARC cannot get a second work permit without an agreement from
a first employer. so, if you get a second job and start actually working while your first employer doesn’t know, you could get deported.

1 Like

That makes sense for most jobs because they would be full-time… but for buxiban teachers, does the WDA actually require permission from the first employer before it will issue a second work permit? (And if there are already multiple employers, does it require permission from all of them?)