What's a good English translation for the word 騷貨?

Sorry, probably kind of an inappropriate question, but I genuinely would like to know. There’s always been a blank space in my brain for Chinese vocabulary related to sex/flirting because I acquired Chinese primarily in a friends and family only environment, so I’m still in the process of learning new words and picking up slang. I know all the basic nouns and verbs that have to do with sex, but the nuances of some of these descriptive terms still elude me.

Obviously there’s a couple ways to use this depending on context. In the best sense of 騷貨 it seems like something akin to the western concept of a so-called “baddie” or “bad bitch,” i.e. a babe, a sexually liberated and seductive woman, opposite of the 乖乖牌 good girl type that you bring home to mom.

On the other hand, it also seems to be equivalent to something like “slut” “tramp” or “hoe.” Something a woman would call the hottie her husband’s staring at just to cut her down. I’m sure it depends on the context but I feel like the overall Taiwanese opinion of a provocative woman is more negative than my American sensibilities -it conjures up images of the kind of chicks you see at the club wearing clothes that leave nothing to the imagination.

FWIW I have nothing against those women. They look hot. I just think there are couple of different ways to exude sexuality, and some ways are just kinda tacky while others are more sophisticated. Just wondering which this refers to…and uh, whether I should feel offended for being called this.

For me, old-fashioned terms like vamp, hussy and trollop come closest in feeling to 騷貨, I guess because Asian sexual mores are also a little old-fashioned.

Slut or whore.

Sometimes 騷貨, especially when used by men, doesn’t have as much of a negative connotation as bitch, slut or whore. In that context it would probably be closer to a “seductive/flirty/sexy woman”.

It’s still demeaning though. The term is literally and blatantly objectifying women by referring to people as 貨.

3 Likes