What's a "Li Mao" in English?

Or a “Li Mau” perhaps, some cute animal a guy was selling in the nightmarket. Was still young, fury, grey in color with white strips in the face. Something fox like as the name also implies (Li = Fox).

Have been told it’s illegal in Taiwan and supposingly some people like to eat it!

Anybody know what animal I mean and the English name?

Gem-faced civet. Fairly common but nocturnal and secretive, so not often seen. Eats mainly fruit and insects. (Was going to say “eats roots shoots and leaves” but I was worried people might think I was talking about something else entirely )
Easily tamed and becomes very friendly toward its owner.
Can often be seen for sale at the roadside in mountain areas.
Do them a favor if you see them – don’t buy one! They do better in the wild.

No worries, won’t buy one - just curious to know what it was. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by sandman: Was going to say "eats roots shoots and leaves" but I was worried people might think I was talking about something else entirely [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Panda joke!

Does anyone have a chihuahua doggie here? I’m looking to get a nice Mexican dog. Great little critters who can really stand the heat. Yo quiero taco bell???

quote:
Originally posted by feng shui: Does anyone have a chihuahua doggie here? I'm looking to get a nice Mexican dog. Great little critters who can really stand the heat. Yo quiero taco bell???? [img]images/smiles/converted/yes.gif[/img]

You have to be really careful – because they’re so small, they dry out very quickly. Keep them covered with foil right up until the last 10 mins of cooking, and make sure to cover them with rashers of fat bacon.

If you marinade them in red wine for 48 hrs, they soften up enough that you can crunch 'em up, bones and all.

For most recipes, you can substitute pomeranians, which are more easily found here, but remember to remove the hair with a blowtorch before starting the recipe.

Bon appetit!

yipe yipe yipe yipe

WOOOF!