What's a mansion

Which insects? The closest I can think of is a spider that does. I’m not being a pedant - I’m genuinely interested.

Whatever deprivations I had to suffer while staying at Chungking Mansions were more than made up for by the colorful characters and excellent curries.

Certain large species of beetles
Certain kinds of parasitoid wasps

Probably Hong Kong has more though.

1 Like

Some kind of giant centipede thing.

I came back to my room and the head had been eaten off of a cockroach . It then proceeded to drag the rest of the body into a cavity in a wall.

I was genuinely horrified.
You can look up videos online for the proof.

1 Like

And the entry ticket was only 40 euros!

Maybe a house centipede

Yes it was a centipede but more like T Rex compared to your average chicken. It was a lot bigger and meaner looking than that.

1 Like

Like this?

I’d be looking for a new mansions if that thing was in my room.

I got bit on the neck by one of those at a beach hut in Thailand. It was hiding under my pillow waiting to pounce. Not an experience I’d like to repeat.

2 Likes

That’s the one!

My experience was like mad_masala’s. I’d just spent a glorious year traveling through Southeast Asia. Last stop, Hong Kong for a couple of days, with very little money left. That was one of the most expensive places I stayed the whole trip, and perhaps the worst of them all.

A few years ago, I heard strange noises coming from my cat - I entered the living room and saw him facing off with a centipede like that. For a half-second I thought it was a cobra, because it was rearing up. I’m still not sure which I’d have preferred! Grabbed the cat and locked him in a room, somehow managed to get the centipede (20-30cm long?) in a sealed tupperware box, and then had no idea what to do with it. So the box went on the balcony. About a month later it was for sure dead, and then it went in the garbage. Still inside the box, I think.

We live on the seventh floor in an apartment tower (a mansion, I’ve now learned!). That’s the only time I’ve seen a beast like that in the building, thank goodness.

I got scorpioned in a beach hut. The bugger was in my t-shirt when I put it on in the morning. Like a sharp electric shock.

That’s a centipede, not a millipede… just for the record. And quite similar to the ones I saw here:

1 Like

Yeah more like that.

I’m surprised it didn’t manage to chew its way out. Those things are tough as nails.

Once in a beach hut, I was putting on my swimsuit. I have no idea why I looked in my swimsuit before I put it on - who does that?! But for some reason I did, and there was a dead scorpion in it. I shook it out, and then of course it scurried away.

“Like a sharp electric shock”, eh? I’ve always wondered how bad that would have been.

The Thai scorpions aren’t deadly. But bad enough that you feel the lymp node in the armpit swell up as it processes the venom. All good after an hour or so.

1 Like

With enough money to buy a mansion. I wouldn’t do it in Taiwan. Houses here like that are out of the way and really don’t age well. The outside, everything turns black from tiles and stuff. Maintaining it takes a lot of effort to keep it looking nice. Inside also molds and breaks down easily. Walls crack from earthquakes and molding and you have to repaint often. Easily infested with roaches and bugs. Everything just breaks down faster from the elements of Taiwan.

Trump Tower would qualify.