What's a reasonable salary?

I’ve seen various salary ranges, but frankly have no idea what the cost of living is like there. If some of you could give me a heads up, I’d really appreciate it! So far I have seen salaries ranging from NT $63,000 - $70,000.

Here are my stats:
1 - Never been to Taiwan
2 - Degree in Elementary Education with current certification
3 - Taught 4 years in an immersion program in Japan as a first grade teacher. I think this is similar to the bilingual programs in Taiwan.
4- 1 year in a Japanese school teaching 3rd-4th graders
5 - 1 year in a Japanese cram school
6 - 1.5 years teaching in the United States

As a guess, what do you think I can reasonably expect for a salary? What is too little?

Also, how do bilingual schools, government programs, and international schools compare in pay? I’m getting the vibe that government schools pay more than bilingual schools, but from my experience in Japan it’s the opposite. So…I’m not sure what to expect or what ramifications this might have on how a bilingual school is run. Are bilingual schools perceived as stable?

Thanks!

It all depends. Even if you hit the ground with a good handle on what to expect, it’s likely going to take a year to find the right niche.

Experience in Japan tends to be well-regarded. A teaching degree with current certification will open more doors. That’s a very good start.

Cost of living depends on where you end up and your expectations. If you want to be in Taipei, live alone, and have a decent place, you’d be lucky to pay less than NT$15,000/mon. Outside of Taipei, for the same amount you’ll find something superior. You can eat well for NT$300/meal, or scrape by for less than NT$100.

Salary: for your qualifications, you should expect some low-ball offers of NT$55,000/month. NT$63,000 - $70,000 is reasonable. What’s acceptable depends on what you want and where you are. If you’re looking to work a lot and rake it in, you’ll want a regular position that ends early with no nonsense in the evenings, leaving you free to pick up extra work. A no nonsense position that offers you that will be worth taking, even if it pays NT$10,000/month less than another position where you’ll be teaching evening classes 3 or 4 nights/week, because you can ask NT$1,000/hr for private classes and easily teach 10~20 hours/week in the evenings.

All depends on what you’re after, your ability to pick your spots, and luck in making the right contacts.