What's going on in the shadows?

You won the internet this weekend :+1:

You won the internet too! :+1:

1 Like

OP certainly wasn’t clear at all - things are much better here than in China - MUCH.

If you wonder that your English is not going to be seen as good enough for teaching kids, trying to be cryptic (and then misunderstood) with adults is not a great way to get insight :rofl:

However, I’ve noticed (in my limited experience) that once you get a foot in somewhere you can expand on that. Once they see you are a teacher in XYZ place or have 123 client, then this validates you and you can get more work. Try a western owned tutor agency (not a local agent, completely different things).

2 Likes

First let’s address his main question.
He says he’s not a native English speaker.
to get a Visa here and all the necessary work permits you need to have a diploma an AA -two year college or higher from a school in a native speaking country in any subject. I’m not sure if you require a BA now, I’ve been here a while. I’m not sure if they care what your nationality is is as long as you meet that requirement.* Many people teach (undocumented) on tourist visas and leave the country every 30 days to renew their visas. But if you want a regular life I would not do that.
Once you get your legal job here you got to watch that your employer is not trying to embezzle your tax returns or making you work too many extra hours unpaid.
*Please verify, things may have changed.

Do not do this unless you want to get banned from re-entry to Taiwan once you’re inevitably busted and deported. Very bad advice.

1 Like

Drew C misrepresented what I said as advice and left off my warning…
“…their visas. But if you want a regular life I would not do that.”
The seeker gives no bad advice (intentionally).
You cut off my last sentence.
I just reported what people do.
Until my post no one gave the original poster the most important requirement for teaching English. You need at least an associate’s degree in any subject from a college or University in an English-speaking country. I’m not sure if you need to be a citizen of an English-speaking country.
if you don’t have that you probably cannot teach English legally here unless you marry a local or come from a country with a working holiday arrangement with Taiwan.
there are other opportunities to come here in other Industries.
Other than that you will be ilegal.

Dude, please edit your post so it doesn’t like I’m the one giving the terrible, horrible and most definitely illegal advice.

1 Like

My comment has been edited…
But please restore the last sentence of my quote.

Comment made private

the most important requirement is a passport from a country where English is an official language, or recognized by BOCA so. Degree can be from any country.

1 Like

Indeed - not sure where OP is from but the list of English as an official language countries grows longer every time I investigate - I believe citizens from Swaziland and Belize are both, technically, able to teach English here.

Why single them out? Either English is an official language there or it isn’t.

1 Like

…because my one single friend from either country was amused so I’m sharing that mirth, if you want to be offended by everything on everyone else’s behalf then may I suggest you try facebook, Governeur :wink:

Na, I’ll just be offended by what I find offensive here :slight_smile:

Yeah he is but he disagrees with me too often without using cussing or personal attacks which is more skilled :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks… I think. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Until next time , now work beckons. Back to reality. Morning and late evening are my let lose on Forumosa time:smiley:

1 Like