What's going on in the shadows?

Hi, guys, I’d like to know what’s going on in the shadows of teaching English? Ahem… I’d like to know how many not-really-suitable-for-teaching-because-of-country people actually work? Do you encounter them often? Aren’t they scared?

Share some experience, please. I’d love to hear directly from people

Why do I ask? I’m not going to say anything specific but I might starve to death because I’m a coward, even though I survived China

PM if the story is too dark

Welcome to the community!
We are still friends here.
You can share your story with us. Just hide any information that could identify you.

I couldn’t hold a conversation and I found work
I’d have been better off working at a supermarket back home though

2 Likes

I just want to know how’s the situation in Taiwan, I know how it is in China (quite scary but manageable if you are careful and actually hard-working, just do your job and don’t waste). But so far I hear only the official side of the story, but nothing about what’s actually going on? So I want to hear what people know.

I’m a very hard-working person, I actually do care about what I do and I need to make some green for life…

Wow, really? Do you mean the attitude towards you was not great? What was the problem?

Taiwan’s ESL working environment is ten times better than China.

Yeah, there’s losers who would rather get drunk and party than teach in most Asian countries. But also a lot of great, competent and hardworking teachers as well. Unfortunately in the eyes of the media, our reputation is more defined by the worst of us, rather than the best. And the worst don’t last too long before they bomb out. So they go back to their home countries and leave us behind to deal with their mess.

I don’t have that many bad stories, at least from Taiwan. My worst story is from when I first started teaching almost 12 years ago in Korea. My coworker showed up to teach class stinking drunk and vomited on the carpet in front of a classroom of terrified 8 and 9 year olds. On his third day at the job.

He then hid in a stall in the boys bathroom, while the director looked to find him and confront him. He wouldn’t come out of the stall for an hour, even when the director started yelling in broken English at him (“Why you come to teach like this??”) and banging violently on the stall door. We just kept hearing retching and the toilet flush over and over. He was fired before the day was over, needless to say.

1 Like

Sounds nice, but I think I was a bit misunderstood. When I wrote not-really-suitable-for-teaching, I mean non-native speakers. That’s what makes things scary, at least, for me

Sorry for being too shady.

Sounds nice, but I think I was a bit misunderstood. When I wrote not-really-suitable-for-teaching, I mean non-native speakers. That’s what makes things scary, at least, for me

Sorry for being too shady.

There goes Drew having another conversation with an algorithm again.

My take was Drew being a decent contributor to the forum.

4 Likes

To be fair, OP wasn’t clear at all.

1 Like

By contributing an anecdote that gets twisted to represent the norm and engaging in a conversation about illegalities?

Are you talking about me? I actually made a point in my post that those kind of teachers get used as examples by the media to twist the norm. That’s my whole first paragraph. Also it didn’t even happen in Taiwan.

Huh? Was I advocating that as good behavior? It’s an amusing story that happened over a decade ago in another country. Threads here are full of amusing stories.

2 Likes

Drew, you have a good heart. I see your honesty in what you’ve seen and you write about it. It’s just that I spent the better part of an hour yesterday walking back negative perceptions of foreigners with my clients, who were asking where and how to choose buxibans for their kids. A couple of them are of an age that PTT is in their wheelhouse. We all know the toxic b.s. that gets thrown up there. I saw your post after the grind last night and it set off my snark. I apologize.

5 Likes

No worries. I had a really bad day too.

That was a clear case of racism. What a disgraceful director. First they came for the teachers that show up drunk at work…

1 Like

Stalking him into the men’s room? That’s indeed harassment, I agree that director’s behaviour was disgraceful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is @Hussssshh an algorithm?
Sounds like a real person to me :idunno:

Ya, I’m a terrible person.

That’s exactly what an algorithm would say!

2 Likes