What's important to you when choosing a car?

What about fuel economy, ease of maintenance, and lower cost of ownership?

If I want to go fast, I would fly model rockets or something… or ride a roller coaster. Cramped Taiwanese road is not the place for speed.

3 Likes

I wrote economy and service in the second option. At this time, I wouldn’t consider a car that isn’t full electric, but I do have a first floor residence with parking in front that the HOA can’t stop me from installing a charger.

I live just outside the city, so lots of four lane empty stroads. It all depends on where you drive.

Eco friendliness, congruence with my ascetic personality.

I drive a Prius.

3 Likes

The Prius was a win. WTF happened to the worthless Prius C? Bad Toyota…

If it gets from point A to point B, good enough.

1 Like

That’s some low expectations. :grin:

Yep! Have no interest in cars. It drives. Good enough.

Not allowed to exceed the maximum on the roads and highways. It just needs to do normal stuff and go where I want it. I’m happy enough with a C$1000 car.

My uncle brought home Camaros (Camaroes?) every now and then and I couldn’t see the point. I drove it, but it couldn’t see what the fuss was all about. In my high school there was some event where the winner could ride in a Hummer. I always thought that was a pretty shit prize. Half an hour well spent driving through suburban hell. Though my peers also decided through referendum that LCD flat panel TVs in the hallways was a cooler idea than a barbecue. Those TVs were installed in my last year and do nothing but show propaganda from staff.

3 Likes

I think one of the biggest things I care would be safety, and by safety I also mean safety of the people outside the car (potential accidents)
Acceleration and speed are unfortunately inversely related to safety.

Also, I’m really not a big fan of the romanticization of dayly car driving.

Racing is cool tho, but that shouldn’t happen on the streets.

3 Likes

Only on GTA streets :grin:

2 Likes

Basically fast cars are overcompensating for most people, to show off how big they have to members of the opposite sex. Also the noise it makes, as well as its speed, activates out primal brain making us excited. That’s about it.

As you get older the excitement wears off and you realize that a car is little more than a tool to get you to places. But it’s an expensive tool requiring all sorts of fees not to mention unplanned expenses such as the car not starting and therefore you are unable to go to work.

This is why I like better public transport, because it’s very rare that those don’t start. But Americans equate them with communism.

Also everyone driving cars is unsustainable because each car requires about 10x its own space, due to all the parking, roads, etc. it requires.

3 Likes

Yes, racing is purely closed track. Anyone that races on public roads shouldn’t ever drive again.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with expecting pleasure in everyday driving or those moments where the additional power is appreciated.

3 Likes

I’ll also align with @Marco and say the most fun I’ve had racing is in videogames!

Real-life has already enough risks to be racing cars :laughing:

2 Likes

What about remote control car racing? Where you would have a console not unlike a car, and you race model cars instead of full size ones, in a closed course.

All the benefit of driving fast without the risk to life.

1 Like

The most pleasure I get is when drivers in the road drive nicely and safely.
That unfortunately does not generally happen in Taiwan :angry:

3 Likes

Doesn’t happen in the states either. Too easy to get licenses, and too many cars per capita, too much congestion, and all that stress going to and from work. Public transportation is so much less stress.

1 Like

A commonly heard assumption of urban lore indeed, but I wonder whether any study or survey has been done among the female about their attraction or opinion?

1 Like

With VR headsets connected to camera in the cars? Great idea!

1 Like

I second this.

Guy

3 Likes

Not what I’d expect to hear from guys, that’s for sure. To many men, the car is the second wife and thus given a female name. I’ve named every car I’ve ever owned, and I currently drive Ann.