What's important to you when choosing a car?

Boats, yes. Cars? … that’s weird!

2 Likes

Damnit! Now we need a new poll…
Naming cars or not?

@afterspivak I am ready to admit defeat. It seems we are a mere 25%, though I feel the results are skewed by city dwellers making up the majority of the respondents.

1 Like

So do I name every machine tool I own?

I suppose a lathe could be a “car” because in Chinese it means “car bed” (車床)

1 Like

Yes. A study was performed in 2015.

Here are the results

6 Likes

If you love them, why not?

When I was younger, it was about how sporty the car was…speed, aero dynamics, overall looks, etc.

Since being a family man, its all about practicality, efficiency, and cost.

I still drool over some cars, but that is dream land.

I prefer a car that seats my family comfortably, safely, and reliably while being easy on the wallet.

And I’ve always named my cars too, although not always female names.
I named my first car Rex.

2 Likes

That’s awesome.

1 Like

That’s why I’m excited about the Foxtron (Hon Hai + Yulon) Model C. 5+2 seating, 0.27 drag coefficient, and 0 to 100 km in 3.8 seconds in a full electric under 1 million NT. Winner all around.

1 Like

:rofl:classic!

4 Likes

sounds like a faithful family dog

1 Like

Not to mention most guys who own a lot of large power tools. Talk about compensation!

2 Likes

I think location also plays a big role when answering the Op’s question.

Two Arguments why I don’t bother with a nice car in Taiwan:

In Taiwan speed limit is 110, and because of high vehicle load on the highways you can seldom drive that fast savely anyways.
In Europe with big comparative empty highways i set the cruise control to 135km according to gps and am done.

Another point is that in Taiwan people don’t care about their own and other people’s property. The amount of times i have seen and heard somebody hitting another car when opening the door, a scooter hitting my cars side mirrors, etc. is just astonishing and not worth having a new/newish car.
Just yesterday i got into an argument with my misses again, when she hit another car with the baby stroller. “It’s ok, nothing happened”.

My car in Europe and the one here are both about 10 years old. One looks like newish, the other one has so many dents, that even if somebody hits out car right in front of me i could not tell if this is a new dent or an old one.
Guess which is which.

4 Likes

This reminds me of a story of a friend, when his taiwanese wife in Europe wanted to leave her parking spot and bumped into the car in front and behind her vehicle.
In the end the insurance payed for the damages of both cars. In Taiwan I’m not sure if this would be reported at all.

1 Like

Spend less on forums, more on life … if it is not there, create it …
And yes, I am more on the “comfort” side …

4 Likes

That it’s fun.

1 Like

Expensive car = “I’m a financial idiot.”

1 Like
1 Like

I would avoid reporting this to my insurance agency of the other party will permit. And just pay for it out-of-pocket.

Once again everything is a question of percentage of one’s income…

1 Like

I disagree that it is a basic necessity. Our politicians in North America and Australia/NZ have built our cities in a way that forces dependency on a car. It’s unsustainable. A car is a huge expense that I am happy to live without. $1280 and I have unlimited transport anywhere in the GTA except buses on Keelung’s network. While yes, we are urban city dwellers now, many of us came from suburban hell.

Having a car for everything sucks. In Taipei, I don’t have to be DD.

We had a topic a while ago about a couple of drink drivers. In Canada, we have 10x more drink driving deaths as taiwan with only 50% more people. It’s only shocking here because they actually make the news here. Drink driving deaths get, at most, a token note in the news unless they’re especially shocking.

2 Likes