What's the advantages of Taiwanese citizenship?

For most people there is no real advantage nowadays. It’s nice bling is all.

1 Like

Not in the forest land I live :slight_smile:

1 Like

Taiwanese citizens cannot buy properties on forest land in Alishan?

There are lands that only aboriginals can own. So my wife legally owns our property not me. I’m just a pauper living in the wilderness.

5 Likes

Yup.

Odd that he was able to do that, as badge found out years ago the law only allows Taiwanese nationals to captain Taiwanese ships. The law appears unchanged.

船員法§5-全國法規資料庫 (moj.gov.tw)

1 Like

My mistake. He obtained a private yacht license, not a professional small boat license.

BTW it might be helpful for future readers to post that law in the thread you linked earlier, as there doesn’t seem to be a “solution” in that thread yet.

3 Likes

It starts immediately from the time you have employment though.

1 Like

As you had to give up your previous citizenship, wouldn’t this be Taiwan making you stateless?

Good question. There’s probably some international law against that isn’t there? But then again, Taiwan isn’t a real country so they don’t have to abide by any of those rules :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I always thought making you give up your original citizenship was a bad thing, as this means they are stuck with you, even if you’re a complete cock-knocker.

Title: Regulations Governing the Use of Radio Frequencies
Category: Ministry of Digital Affairs(數位發展部)
Article 3 Unless otherwise specified by laws, the person that applies for frequency assignment shall possess the nationality of or be a legal person of the Republic of China.

Regulations Governing the Use of Radio Frequencies - Article Search/Content Search Result - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan)

1 Like

Why, anyone wants to start a radio station?

I wanted to make a death ray! Now my dreams are shattered /s

btw. radio waves are not only for radio stations

5 Likes

Actually, Taiwan taxes are quite a bit higher than US. Ask me how I know…

It depends on your income bracket. For most Americans working for a Taiwan company, their income will not fall under a very high bracket.

If you’re working in Taiwan remotely for a US company, on the other hand, then you might be making enough money to pay a lot of Taiwan taxes. But of course, that is offset by the lower cost of living here.

(And, of course, what the Taiwan tax office doesn’t know can’t hurt them. :wink:) But no, you should pay your taxes.

US tax rate is lower at the lower tax brackets as well. Of course, I’m referring to ONLY federal taxes. Adding in state and payroll taxes MIGHT make overall US tax higher but if you’re a US citizen working in Taiwan, you are of course not responsible for any US state taxes

Of course, if you’re working “under the table” in Taiwan, then your Taiwan tax burden will be lower

Really? What’s the lowest bracket in the US?

In Taiwan, the lowest bracket is 5% (what most young professionals and young English teachers pay), and the next one up is 12% (what most middle-aged professionals and more experienced English teachers pay). Most people will never go beyond this.

Huh, ok, I stand corrected. Was never actually in the very lowest bracket in Taiwan.

That said, there are nuances relative to standard deductions (much greater in US - ~$28k for MFJ in US vs ~$8k for same in Taiwan) as well as where (income levels) those brackets are set.

So a married person making NT$560k (~USD$19k) which is the upper limit for the 5% bracket in Taiwan would owe ~NT$15.6k (~USD$500) but would owe nothing in US taxes (ie. income < standard deduction)… not factoring deductions or other factors aside from the standard deduction

Ah ok. The info I provided was comparing what single people pay in the two countries. I have no idea what kind of tax benefits a married couple in the US and Taiwan receive.

But keep in mind that most professionals in the US start at a much higher bracket whereas most professionals in Taiwan remain in the lower two brackets their whole lives.