What's the advantages of Taiwanese citizenship?

A friend asked me if I’d ever give up my US citizenship to get Taiwanese residence. This might just be sour grapes… but I’m having a hard time figuring out why Taiwanese citizenship is better than an APRC.

• Taiwanese citizens who move abroad lose their household registration, and need to apply for entry permits to come back. You need to get a job and live in Taiwan with a TARC for 1-5 years before getting your hukou back. This is exactly what would happen if I left and lost my APRC.
  • Access to healthcare. APRC holders get the same benefits.
  • Reduced taxes for your primary dwelling place. I currently pay nt$4k/year in real estate tax. Wow, I’d love to sacrifice my US citizenship to save a few bucks.
  • The right to vote. I guess if you follow politics this would be important.
  • Your kids can serve in the military.

Am I missing anything? Are there any way benefits to Taiwanese citizenship I’m unaware of?

2 Likes

Noop.

2 Likes

Access to subsidized housing

Not having to report change of address within 15-30 days

Much faster to create a Taiwan company (1 week vs many months)

Being able to answer yes when someone such as bank asks if you have Shenfenzheng

Able to correct somebody for calling you a foreigner. APRC is a foreigner / waiguoren even if it’s your primary home and you live here for 30 years.

Being able to live like a normal person such as use online services

Access to TaiBaoZheng and China

Can’t get deported from Taiwan

Can’t lose citizenship for life

Save a lot of time at the banks

Easier to get loans

People will stop asking you for a Taiwanese guarator

You can be a guarantor for a foreigner

HIV subsidized treatments

Disability sticker

Able to apply for domestic helper

And the biggest benefit for your case… no more U.S. taxes

I’m sure there’s lots more but I’m typing on my phone at dinner

16 Likes

no, they don’t

they have subsidy for IVF

they may get lower rate mortgage

5 Likes

You can lose it if they think you obtained it fraudulently, and there is no time limit to that.

This is wrong. You do not lose citizenship at all. Your HHR gets transferred to some HHR office, and you would have to reestablish your NHI (wait 6 months), but that’s about it. TARC is for nationals, not citizens.

If it was that easy to lose citizenship then any men who don’t want to serve in the army would do that.

There is that, if you’re under 37 you will have to serve in the army.

1 Like

Able to work in many restricted jobs such as an Uber driver, taxi driver

Deliver food for Uber eats, panda eats, etc.

I’ve seen foreigners doing food delivery before. They could have been naturalized, but I doubt it. I think there was a thread on here about it before.

https://www.uber.com/zh-TW/blog/delivery-partner-document-upload-requirements/

3 Likes

What about for Uber as a driver? That restriction might have to do with having to get a Taxi license, which may not be available for foreigners with APRC

The thread was here: Can a foreigner work for Uber eats?

Edit: OK it might be possible here for a foreigner to get a taxi driving license: 職業駕照 考照攻略|職業小客車駕照、職業小型車駕照|大都會車隊

I’m sure there are some restricted jobs similar to other countries. Such as areas of national security, etc. I can’t find the list right now. I can’t imagine the NIA or tax bureau hiring a foreigner on APRC unless if it’s for a non-critical role like janitor. They may not say foreigners not allowed but you’d get auto-rejected when applying and they do a quick background check.

1 Like

Who told you this? You can’t lose your household registration. TARC are for people who never had household registration in the first place.

You can become president.

You can hold other high offices in government.

You can work in the military.

You can drive for Uber.

Taiwan doesn’t allow those who acquired nationality by naturalization to run for president or vice president

6 Likes

Article 10

Naturalized foreign nationals or stateless persons have no right to hold the following government offices:

1. President, vice president.
  2. Legislator.
  3. Premier, vice premier or minister without portfolio of the Executive Yuan; president, vice president or Grand Justices of the Judicial Yuan; president, vice president or members of the Examination Yuan; president, vice president, members or auditor-general of the Control Yuan.
  4. Personnel specially appointed or designated.
  5. Deputy Minister of each Ministry.
  6. Ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary, minister extraordinary and plenipotentiary.
  7. Vice minister of the Overseas Compatriot Affairs Commission.
  8. Other government offices shall be compared with personnel holding selected ranks above the thirteenth grade.
  9. General officer of the land, navy or air force.
  10. Local government office position elected by the people.

The foregoing restrictions shall be lifted after 10 years from the date of naturalization, but if otherwise provided by any other act, the provisions of that act shall prevail.

Is there another article that overrules this?

4 Likes

I think this one:

https://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=D0020053

"
Article 20

Anyone who restores the ROC nationality or acquires the ROC nationality by naturalization or the people in the People’s Republic of China or the residents in Hong Kong and Macao who are permitted to enter Taiwan may not be registered as the candidate for President or Vice President.
"

But at least we can run as legislators (if we manage to get voted in), and hopefully in 10 years there’s more foreign born naturalized legislators

4 Likes

You can captain a boat!

You can buy properties on “forest land”.

2 Likes

You don’t need to be an ROC citizen to captain a boat. My European friend just got his boat license.

2 Likes

You can do this as a foreigner if you have a certain income.

2 Likes

77 posts were split to a new topic: Non-legal aspects regarding advantages of having Taiwan Citizenship

18 posts were split to a new topic: Not about Taiwan citizenship / TL talking About US

No no. You get rights. Foreigners get privileges that can be revoked.

I’m not going to mention anything @jimbob132 already covered as well as the incorrect statements, but here’s a few things.

Right of abode. Right to work etc… all apply too.

5 Likes

He got a commerical captain’s license? Perhaps things have changed.

JFRV holder denied captain’s license exam - Legal / Legal - Work - Forumosa